Compact Logix Test Rig with missing Point IO

OWEN.DAVID

Is it possible to run a AB controller without the Local/Point IO attached by making small modifications to a project?

I would like to test developments and HMI interactions and have a spare controller at my desk.

Ideally I would like to take a running project, download it to the test controller, make a few changes and for the controller to then remain in run mode.

Currently the missing IO leads to a major fault.

I don't know what approach would be suitable to achieve this?

Thanks

Check the Configuration tab for each device in the local POINT expansion, and on the network, to be sure that the "[ ] Major Fault On Controller If Connection Fails In Run Mode" box is un-checked.

On the same tab, you can check the "[ ] Inhibit Module" box to prevent the controller from attempting to make the connection at all. The tags and profile will all stay in the same in the program, and you can go into RUN mode, but the controller won't object to the absence of the module.

Thanks both,

I wonder how to integrate this safely into the project so we can quickly move between the test and plant states.

Would you consider it appropriate to add a routine to the project that was able to set/reset the "inhibit modules" bit for all of the modules programmatically?

This would be useful as we have a total of 30-40 local, point IO, and ethernet Eip 3rd party modules, and so enable quick access to the test state. However an inadvertent set/reset could knock the running plant offline.

What is the best compromise here? Is there a way to keep the logic in the project but tuck it away until it is needed?