CompactLogix 5335E communication with CTi2500

AD@brady

Hi There Folks,

Would like to know if any of you have ever attempted doing this: having CTI2500 communicate with a compact logix5335E. How would one go about having one seeing the other bits? Is there message instruction in 505 WS?

Thanks,

AD

"Don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."
Bill Hicks

Something like the Prosoft Profibus module is likely to be your best chance of success.

You'd want to confirm that the CTI2500 has Profibus capability currently.
Other options would be to go up and back down with something like Kepware OPC server. I've seen an installation where it was used to talk to a CTI2500, although again I'm not sure exactly what protocol it was using for that... I think it was using the PG interface (since it was the same connector used to program it as was used for the Kepware connection).

https://www.prosoft-technology.com/...ctLogix/PROFIBUS-DPV1-Master-for-CompactLogix

Hello AD

Perhaps another option would be to use a protocol converter like from red lion
https://www.redlion.net/protocol-converters/data-station

If the system has only a 2500 cpu and no additional ethernet module then take in mind that the onboard ethernet port can only handle 3 camp server connections. For programming and scada connection there are already two in use and I assume that programming is done over ethernet and a HMI /Scada system is connected over ethernet?

If there is a additional communication module then there are some more options.
https://controltechnology.com/Files/common-documents/tech-tips/ethernet/Ethernet-Communications-Tech-Tip

Kind regards
Henny

Which exact CTI Ethernet module do you have ?

I know that the modern 2572-B does have some EtherNet/IP function support: it implements a "tag server" that lets the ControlLogix or CompactLogix read and write "V-Memory" as though it was a ControlLogix Tag.

From their user manual:

The Ethernet/IP Tag Server allows Rockwell Automation Logix controllers to read V memory using a CIP DATA TABLE READ message and write V memory using a CIP DATA TABLE WRITE message. V memory values can be accessed as 16 bit unsigned integers, 16 bit signed integers, 32 bit signed integers, or 32 bit floating point (REAL) numbers. Also, V memory can read and written by a device, such as an HMI that supports the CIP READ TAG Service (0x4C) and WRITE TAG service (0x4D). Firmware version 2.0 and above supports the MULTIPLE SERVICE REQUEST service, which improves performance by allowing multiple read/write requests to be grouped into one message. This firmware version also supports Fragmented Requests, which enables a request that requests that contains more data than allowed in a single message to be transferred over multiple messages.

I did it using the 2572-B cards in my previous job as Ken mentioned.
There's a bit of ladder you need to add to the processor but its pretty straightforward.

Which exact CTI Ethernet module do you have ?

I know that the modern 2572-B does have some EtherNet/IP function support: it implements a "tag server" that lets the ControlLogix or CompactLogix read and write "V-Memory" as though it was a ControlLogix Tag.

From their user manual:
Hi,

It's a CTI 2572-A ETHERNET TCP/IP MODULE. I was able to find the required information in Chapter 7 of the Installation and Operations Guide. It covers how to configure a Control Logix system to communicate with the 2572-A.

Thank You so much!

AD

“The hands that help are better far than lips that pray.”
Robert G. Ingersoll

Last edited:
UPDATE on MSG instruction

Hi,

I still have not been able to establish a connection between the two PLCs.
The Message instruction is giving the following:
error code :16#0001
extended error code : 16#0000_0311

I went on to Rockwell's Knowledegebase and the only article I found talked about unchecking the Cache Connection box. I tried that but it didn't work.
Then, I followed the advice from these two posts:

1) http://****************/viewtopic.php?t=25104 (plc forum uz au)
2) https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/35794-msg-error-160000_0311-and-160000_0204/

Still nothing.

Do you have any idea why I'm still getting this error?

"I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy."
-Rabindranath Tagore

msg1.PNG msg2.PNG

Last edited:
Did you try un-checking the "Connected" box, so that the message uses the Unconnected Message Manager (UCMM) object only ?

Have you verified that the CTI module is running the EtherNet/IP stack ? I would at least to a PowerShell "tnc 10.244.84.179 -Port 44818" to verify that the EtherNet/IP port is open.

Does the CTI device show up in RSLinx Classic ?

You could also experiment with an MSG from the CompactLogix to perform a List Identity command to the CTI module, which would verify that it's accessible and running the EtherNet/IP. List Identity is what RSLinx Classic uses to show a device's icon and name, and it's a mandatory function of any EtherNet/IP stack.

Ken,

Thank you for the quick response.
I tried unchecking the "Connected" box and the error didn't go away.
TcpTestSucceeded:True.
RsLinx Classics sees it.
I'm attaching some pictures to better explain.
This machine has both the Contorller and the Ethernet card NAtted. They are in separate LANs but on the same WAN subnet. This may be the source of conflict....
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

msg3.PNG 2572-A.JPG RSLINX Classic.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for those details.

The NAT issue between the 10.10/16 and the 10.244/16 networks does give me pause.

The RSLinx screenshot proves that the device is running it's EtherNet/IP stack and can be reached from another host on the 10.10/16 network.

The PowerShell TNC output proves that the device has its EtherNet/IP port open and can be reached from the 10.244/16 network.

I notice that your connection to 10.244/16 is via WiFi, and of course the CTI 2572-A is hardwired. I would check to be sure a hardwired connection works too.

Usually when the port isn't open or the TCP/IP connection can't get through, the result is a 16#0204 extended error code, not 16#0311. That's more common when you have a true CIP Path error, which is often the outgoing port.

Have you tried adding a ",1,0" to the end of the CIP Path in the MSG instruction so it goes "LocalENB,2,10.244.84.179,1,0" ? The CTI module firmware was probably developed back when that was standard for 1756 family controllers to designate the Slot number of the target controller.

So the 10.244... is our controls network. When I looked at RSLinx I was using a physical Ethernet connection to the controller via an old Dell Latitude that runs Windows XP. Also,I tried running the PowerShell command on that laptop using the local ip address, but I got an error message saying that tnc cmd was not recognized(Maybe because it's PowerShell v1?)

Hi @ Dravik,

Did you have to use the command blocks to do this?

I did not no, what's the MSG instruction 'asking' for specifically? I See the SS of the connection tab but not the config tab. (Mind, I did this 9 years ago, so my memory is a bit foggy)

A brief note from my experimenting: if this was a syntax error with the Tag name being emulated by the CTI 2572A, then the error would be "IOI Syntax".

Another thing I recommend experimenting with is putting timers on the .EN and .ER bits, to see how long it takes for the error to occur.

If it's 15 or 30 seconds, then that's a network problem that's probably a timeout. If it's very short, then it's a reply coming back from the target device that denies the message command request.

If this were my system, I would have put an Ethernet tap in place at the originating controller and then at the receiving controller to compare what packets are getting across that NAT/Router.

Hi Again,

Just thought I should come and update this tread and let you all know what happened.
I'm not sure exactly how the issue got Fix, but this is what I did:
-Using a timer EN. or DN. was giving me issues, so I just temporarily used a Test bit and later moved to and EQU. instruction in order to enable my message instruction.
-I also created a new message tag and deleted the old one.
Again, I'm not sure why it would not initially work with timer bits enabling it, but it seems to be working alright now.

Thank You all for the help!