CompactLogix 5370L2 controller to Panel View 6 Plus

The PanelView Plus IP address is part of the operating system, not part of the project or RSLinx Enteprise configuration.

You need to configure it using the Configuration Menu onboard the terminal. I don't have a PanelView Plus handy to remind myself of the exact menu navigation, but it's something to the effect of Terminal Settings -> Networks and Communications -> IP Address.

If you're going to be working on IP networks that aren't standard office networks or home Internet connections, I recommend investing in a cheap USB/Ethernet dongle to allow you to always have a static IP address for your automation work.

Either that or get used to changing your computer's IP configuration quickly. There are some good utilities that can automate that process.

I recommend against using Internet-range addresses like you've shown. Some software tools won't even let you use addresses that are in ranges reserved for Internet-facing devices.

Just from your example I can see that you're near the Genesee brewery !

Are you setting the IP address for the PanelView on FactoryTalk View application or on the terminal itself? You have to set the IP address on the terminal itself. If you are setting it on the terminal then try cycling the power to it and then try connecting. Try to ping it first.

Last edited:
I did setup the IP address on the panel view (terminal) 129.21.187.169 (Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0)

I can see it now on the Rslinx but I tried to ping it using cmd but it times out (Request timed out).

I'd really recommend disconnecting the internet port from that switch and re'iping everything to either a 192.168.x.x or a 10.x.x.x .

I can resolve all 3 of the IPs you are using over the internet. I suspect the ip you choose for the PLC and PV are assigned elsewhere on your campus.

I believe you have to cycle power or perform a warm boot (F8 - Reset) of the PV+ for the Ethernet interface to be reconfigured.

Again, you are using IP addresses that are in a range that's reserved for actual Internet-facing IPv4 traffic. Your modem or router may be attempting to send out to the Internet instead of using them on your internal automation network.

Okay, I disconnected the internet pot totally from the hub.

I assigned new ip addresses.

PC : 192.168.1.6
PLC: 192.168.1.3
PanelView: 192.168.1.4

RsLinx sees the PLC, it did see the PanelView but now displays as not found.

I used the cmd to ping the panel view and it states as host being unreacheable.

Doublecheck the IP address and subnet mask you configured on the PanelView Plus terminal, and check the cable you are using to connect it to the Ethernet switch, and check the Link LEDs on the Ethernet switch.

PanelView Plus terminals are just little computers and their Ethernet ports are very ordinary. Configuring them is not complex, so if it doesn't work you have a more fundamental problem with the hardware.

Oh okay, I double checked my connections and it seems that one of the ethernet plugs is damaged. Replaced it with a new one and now Rslinx sees the touch panel :). Thanks everyone for your input. I highly appreciate it!

Also as for creating the layout of the program in the panel view, I would be using FactoryView or the RSPanelView?

I have created a program for the PanelView Plus 600. It succesfully downloaded the program into the Panel view but I get an error when I tried to load the application.

The error states: Unable to load non-compact machine edition application. Please load a compact machine edition application.

I am using FactoryView Machine Edition Studio.
Do you guys know what could be the error?

Your PV part number implies it is a compact version.
Go into Factory Talk View Studio under your project / System / Project Settings / and change your Project Window Size to PVPlus Compact 400/600

What you have is a "PanelView Plus Compact", which is limited to a small number of Displays and can only talk to one PLC.

Generally you check a box labeled "Compact Machine Edition" when you first create the project.

Once you change that setting in the Project Settings, you must create a new runtime file and download and run it on the terminal.

Do you know what firmware version your terminal is ? It's possible that the "Compact" PanelView Plus 600 is still shipping the old version 5.10 firmware, and you'd want to make sure that your Runtime file revision matches the firmware in the PanelView terminal itself.