Compactlogix communication modul for SCADA

markham

Hi all,
This is my first thread.
It's now 3 years since I last programmed a AB-Controller.

New customer need a system with 4 compact logix controllers. 3 of them should be the sub-stations and control I/O's. The fourth controller should be the "Head" and give informations to the sub-stations. All plcs are 1769-l30er and have their own Hmi.

I have planned to connect all controllers (and hmi) over the on board ethernet/ip interface together and send data between these plcs.

Now the customer want to connect to the "Head" plc a SCADA system and send/receive informations over ethernet tcp/ip. For this I need separate communication processor, right? But I can't find one in the product selection toolbox. What can I do?
Should I upgrade the "Head" plc to a control logix? Or is it possible to solve this with compact logix?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Something like this, you might have to go third party. There are a few manufacturers out there that make communication cards for various PLC platforms.

Like this one:
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/Products/Rockwell-Automation-In-chassis

Just an example. There may be something else you need. And the third party modules do end up being more complicated.

ControlLogix would make it easier, (and, of course, cost more).

Edit:
Previous link was to a specific model, but the new link is to the general devices for AB.

Last edited:
Hi all,
For this I need separate communication processor, right? But I can't find one in the product selection toolbox. What can I do?

Welcome to the Forum!

It really depends of the current 'loading' of the "Head" L30ER CPU and the intended SCADA application's connectivity complexity.

Theoretically, the SCADA running PC connected to the existing L30 ERs Ethernet subnet could exchange data with the "Head" CPU without impeding the existing application; if your existing "Head" L30ER is currently running at less than 50% of its capacity I'd think a basic SCADA interface would not be impossible to implement.

I said 'theoretically' because, in the real world, control systems are designed with segregation between different 'data quality' transfers; the I/O and Logix Produce/Consume type data tends to be exchanged on separate subnets than the SCADA information because of the required timing differences.

Your best bet, if you intend to leave room for further development, would be the upgrade the "Head" CPU to one of the new 5380 CompactLogix controllers which provide a dual Ethernet port thus being able to connect the SCADA system to a separate CPU Ethernet port than the one connected to the existing system.

https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/CompactLogix-5380-Controllers

Also, you will probably need a SCADA protocol Logix Gateway (see above post link) if the supervisory system does not 'talk' Logix 'languages'.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your help.

I will quote 5069-L310ER with Dual IP mode for PLC and also use Protocoll Converter from Prosoft.

Now last question to HMI: I have calculated Panelview Plus 7 10" for my System because this I have used 3 years ago and before. But now I'm not sure because of Panelview 5000 HMI's.
Are this newer Panels and have better functions (graphics,...) ? My favorite is Panelview 5500, 2715-T10CD

Again many thanks. Great Forum.

Last edited:
The PanelView 5000 operator graphic terminals series (5500 and 5310) have been out for several years and are a radical departure from the 'old' PanelView, PanelView +, PanelView + 6 and PanelView 7 HMI terminals; they are fully integrated within the Logix controller platform, use the same configuration software suite (Studio 5000) and they are part of the 'I/O Tree' of the Logix controller application they are being configured within. This 'unusual' HMI functionality generates 'real-time' connectivity (I/O Class), responsiveness and probably lesser congestion onto the controller networking circuitry since, I presume, there is no PV5000(5310) 'broadcast' data transmission similar to the 'classic' HMI terminals operation functionality.

I have personally not implemented (yet) a PV5000 application; I tend to stay away from the latest hardware releases (just like from any new model vehicle coming out...:D) and wait a bit until they work the 'bugs' out of it; I do like the Logix 'I/O Tree' connectivity feature, advertised functionality and the single configuration software platform; as for the reliability, user-friendliness, support availability and 'known issues' history time will tell.

This is a recent thread where some of the members who are already using the PV5000 HMIs discuss their capabilities and functional features:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=115369