CompactLogix L24ER with Micrologix 1400 Devicenet?

asteroide

Hi Friends

I need to communicate a CompactLogix L24ER-QBFC1B with a ML1400 through DeviceNet.

CompactLogix has 1769-SDN Scanner, ML1400 has 1761-NET-DNI Interface

According with 1769-SDN User Manual this connection is possible, but May I control tags (input, outputs, counters, timers, registers, etc) between CompactLogix and ML1400?

What do I need? Do you have a sample program?

Any comment is appreciated. :D

Thanks in advance

Hi Friends

CompactLogix has 1769-SDN Scanner, ML1400 has 1761-NET-DNI Interface

May I control tags (input, outputs, counters, timers, registers, etc) between CompactLogix and ML1400?

Yes.

I have never tried this so not an expert but it should work. Set it up in Networx for DeviceNet, the 1769-SDN is the scanner, 1761-NET-DNI is just a slave. Or you can message between the PLC's.

You won't be writing direct to outputs, counters etc but to Integers (N files) and use these in your ladder to read / write other tags.

What is it you actually want to do? What tags do you want to control in which PLC? If you post a bit more information someone will help.

See 1761 user manual for more help and ladder examples http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um005_-en-p.pdf

Thanks for you quick response andypot.

I have read 1761-net-dni user manual, but the sample program applies to a ML1000, when I tried write and adapt to a ML1400 it said that not all instructions are supported, then I am searching how to do that.

My L24ER would be the master, at least I would like to monitor/control inputs/outputs in ML1400 through Devicenet.
And if is posible, i would like to monitor/control, counters, timers, integers, floats, etc.

This is an didactic Project for the school, the programs in ML1400 could be any simple process, just i need to use devicenet.

Best regards

Yes.

I have never tried this so not an expert but it should work. Set it up in Networx for DeviceNet, the 1769-SDN is the scanner, 1761-NET-DNI is just a slave. Or you can message between the PLC's.

You won't be writing direct to outputs, counters etc but to Integers (N files) and use these in your ladder to read / write other tags.

What is it you actually want to do? What tags do you want to control in which PLC? If you post a bit more information someone will help.

See 1761 user manual for more help and ladder examples http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um005_-en-p.pdf

As you have seen from the user manual, the 1761-NET-DNI can function as a DeviceNet Slave and as a message bridge.

The DeviceNet Slave function is fairly simple; follow the same directions in the User Manual as you'll see for the MicroLogix 1000 controller. The MicroLogix 1400 supports the same "N7:xx" integer data file as the MicroLogix 1000, so all the examples shown there will work.

You can also access any data table in the MicroLogix 1400 by sending it a "PCCC Command" using the MSG instruction in the CompactLogix.

This MSG instruction will be an SLC Typed Read or SLC Typed Write.

The CIP Path will be to the 1769-SDN, then "2, x".

"2" means the message goes out on to the DeviceNet network from the 1769-SDN
"x" is the DeviceNet Node Number of the 1761-NET-DNI.

As you have seen from the user manual, the 1761-NET-DNI can function as a DeviceNet Slave and as a message bridge.

The DeviceNet Slave function is fairly simple; follow the same directions in the User Manual as you'll see for the MicroLogix 1000 controller. The MicroLogix 1400 supports the same "N7:xx" integer data file as the MicroLogix 1000, so all the examples shown there will work.

You can also access any data table in the MicroLogix 1400 by sending it a "PCCC Command" using the MSG instruction in the CompactLogix.

This MSG instruction will be an SLC Typed Read or SLC Typed Write.

The CIP Path will be to the 1769-SDN, then "2, x".

"2" means the message goes out on to the DeviceNet network from the 1769-SDN
"x" is the DeviceNet Node Number of the 1761-NET-DNI.

Hi

I have added 1761-NET-DNI as in the application examples of the user manual, also I have added the 1769-SDN scanner, but I am getting a fault code 77 (Slave Data Size Mismatch). I have modified the scanner configuration but the fault code continues.

Can you help?

Thanks a lot:D

I would go online with a new configuration, delete the DNI from the scan list, then cycle power on the SDN, then go back on-online and download your backup.

simple way messaging
L24ER (write to/move/send to)---->1769-SDN Scanner<------(read/move)1761-NET-DNI---->ML1400(move variable as u need to)

DF1 I/O Connection Only

If this "DeviceNet.DNT" file actually has the configurations for both the 1769-SDN and the 1761-NET-DNI in it, then the I/O size mismatch is easy to resolve.

The I/O connection size is 32 bytes Input/32 bytes Output in the 1769-SDN Scanlist, but is configured for 4 bytes Input/32 bytes Output in the parameters of the 1761-NET-DNI.

Change the Scanlist to 4 bytes Input and 4 bytes Output, and the Error 77 size mismatch should be resolved.

To make the I/O connection work, you then need to do two more things:

1. Set the I/O Scan Enable (Parameter 12) in the 1761-NET-DNI to "Enable".
2. Write ladder logic in the MicroLogix 1400 to perform the DF1 Heartbeat.

The DF1 Heartbeat is straightforward; you just copy the 7th bit of the DF1 Input data table to the 7th bit of the DF1 Output data table.

In this case, the Input data array is N7:90 and the Output data array is N7:95.

Your Heartbeat rung should read "XIC N7:95/7 OTE N7:90/7".

What I've described is how to set up the DF1 I/O connection, which is a common way to run the 1761-NET-DNI.

However, your original question was about random access to any data table in the MicroLogix 1400.

To implement that, you need to follow my first post about using an MSG instruction.

If this "DeviceNet.DNT" file actually has the configurations for both the 1769-SDN and the 1761-NET-DNI in it, then the I/O size mismatch is easy to resolve.

The I/O connection size is 32 bytes Input/32 bytes Output in the 1769-SDN Scanlist, but is configured for 4 bytes Input/32 bytes Output in the parameters of the 1761-NET-DNI.

Change the Scanlist to 4 bytes Input and 4 bytes Output, and the Error 77 size mismatch should be resolved.

To make the I/O connection work, you then need to do two more things:

1. Set the I/O Scan Enable (Parameter 12) in the 1761-NET-DNI to "Enable".
2. Write ladder logic in the MicroLogix 1400 to perform the DF1 Heartbeat.

The DF1 Heartbeat is straightforward; you just copy the 7th bit of the DF1 Input data table to the 7th bit of the DF1 Output data table.

In this case, the Input data array is N7:90 and the Output data array is N7:95.

Your Heartbeat rung should read "XIC N7:95/7 OTE N7:90/7".

I have changed the scanlist to 4 bytes input 4 bytes output, but the error 77 continues, then I changed to 8 bytes input 8 bytes output and the error 77 has disappear and the display shows 00.

I have set the I/O scan to enable.
Also, I have programmed the heartbeat has you said.
jl1z.jpg

But I never see this bit change, also I have programmed a latch bit to check if this bit is on.

I have checked the channel status and it is running, If I disconnect the cable this stops.
xmg9.jpg

If I check the file N7, all the 96 tags are zero. Is it normal?

Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot :D

Last edited: