Protection of outputs on CompactLogix 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B

simonv

Whilst commissioning a system using a CompactLogix 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B we have accidentally shorted an output to ground causing the output to stop working.

I can't find any information about replacement of fuses or resetting.
All other embedded I/O work fine so the fault is isolated to that one channel.

Does anyone know whether there is any protection on the embedded outputs or do we have to replace the PLC to rectify the problem!? 🤞🏻

Many thanks in advance

You should be able to have a repair company fix it but odds are its going to be a spare... if you are starting up it will be faster to buy another (maybe) they are in short supply over here due to the 'chip shortage' so your going to pay a premium if you can find one

Can you just skip that output? it would be faster just to rewire and rewrite the program

Whilst commissioning a system using a CompactLogix 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B we have accidentally shorted an output to ground causing the output to stop working.

I can't find any information about replacement of fuses or resetting.
All other embedded I/O work fine so the fault is isolated to that one channel.

Does anyone know whether there is any protection on the embedded outputs or do we have to replace the PLC to rectify the problem!? 🤞🏻

Many thanks in advance

Hi, welcome to the forum! I looked in the manual and didn't see a whole lot about fuses or any protection and reset.
I know in the past I've always wired interposing relays in the outputs that we used for things like solenoids, valves, etc. for just this reason. Most times it isn't the user or installer that created a short it's a device. I know this doesn't help now, however you may wish to look into this. Hope this helps.

Not sure why AB decided not to fuse the outputs. But you can in your design by using fused terminals. Since everyone takes the outputs to a field terminal just change those terminals to a fused terminal and avoid this issue in futre.

Replacing is a bit extreme.

I would agree but since they are 'commissioning' now I would think that a few people standing around waiting for a PLC to be repaired would cost more, I would buy another and use this one on the next project after its been repaired

Or you can sell it on fleebay as a new PLC :)

Not sure why AB decided not to fuse the outputs. But you can in your design by using fused terminals. Since everyone takes the outputs to a field terminal just change those terminals to a fused terminal and avoid this issue in futre.

We also use fuse terminals for each individual output in the design, as well as overcurrent protection terminals for fusing of output zones. Eg. EL9227-5500. Does a manufacturer out there have individually fused outputs built into a DO module? Would be nice, and make them electronic fuses that are remotely re-settable.

you wont right now lmao

I have had 3 on order for months and the date just got pushed back from november delivery to february I believe.

Same here. I've had several PLC modules on order for months. And nothing too special either. God only knows when they'll finally show up. The chip shortage is affecting everyone.

Last edited: