compactlogix to net-eni messaging

ygnm

Hello all. I am trying to read/write data from a net-eni with a compactlogix. they are connected via internet but i cant seem to get the compactlogix to see the net-eni. i would like to read/write several off the registers in it. any help anybody can offer would be great. thanks in advance!

Someone else might have better information but I don’t think you can message the NET-ENI only the device connected to it.

i know you can message it with the device thats hooked up to it so i was just curious if you could from a remote device. no big deal. i reset it manually and put in a message in the 5/03 to reboot it every 24 hrs so i dont really have to get that externally message working but it would be nice to.

I do this regularly, with an SLC 5/03 and a 5/04. It's pretty straight forward messaging from a CPLX, CLX, to an SLC (through a NET-ENI) with either a read or write. I just set it up in the CompactLogix as an SLC typed read or write and pretend there is no net-eni module and it works every time.

It becomes more complicated if the message instruction is in the SLC, it's actually a DF1 message in the SLC logic, and the NET-ENI configuration has to have the DF1 nodes mapped to I.P. addresses.

I am not aware of any way to message the NET-ENI directly from the Ehternet side, or somehow send a command to it. Why do you want to r-boot it every day, it sounds like you have an issue with communications dying and a re-boot of the NET-ENI fixes it? I had a ENI module that did this, I updated the firmware, to no avail, I then replaced the NET-ENI and that fixed the issue.

Last edited:
yes i am wanting to reboot it. it is up to date and it has been replaced with a brand new one and its still doing it. i kind of have it narrowed down to whats causing it but i cant really control it. but i manually rebooted it yesterday and once i was able to access it i set up a message in the slc to reboot it every night at midnight.

The whole point of the Net-ENI is to decode, convert, and forward PCCC and CIP messages intended for its serial-side device.

But it should execute some other messages that directly address its CIP objects.

Have you tried sending the Net-ENI a Reset Module command ? That's a CIP Generic message with a Service Code 5 (Reset), sent to the Identity Object (Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 0).