connecting to EZtouch EZ-T4C-FS

Rsflipflop256

Lifetime Supporting Member
Wizards,

I am trying to flash this little HMI and have a usb to serial converter from automation direct, the blue one. I setup the com port and assigned according to the help documentation in the programming software, but it will not recognize the HMI.

Gives error code 2, command 18.

Any perspectives would be appreciated, happy Friday.

Wizards,

I am trying to flash this little HMI and have a usb to serial converter from automation direct, the blue one. I setup the com port and assigned according to the help documentation in the programming software, but it will not recognize the HMI.

Gives error code 2, command 18.

Any perspectives would be appreciated, happy Friday.

need more info...

what cable from automation direct are you using? I assume a usb to rs232 converter?

what is the exact text for the error code and when/where does it show it?

I haven't seen a pinout for the serial port on the panel, have you tried a null modem yet?

The AD one was a EA-MG-PGM-CBL, i just switched it out for an amazon one and got the same error, the text is as follows:

Incorrect communication packet (Time-out error).
Check cable, comms port, and port assignment on the panel.

I don't have access to a null modem, what's that?

edit: i looked it up, no its usb and the brand is NXT Technologies. Neither work and both give the same error and Like I've said i went in and changed com ports around

not sure where to go from here

Error code 2
Command: 18

The AD one was a EA-MG-PGM-CBL, i just switched it out for an amazon one and got the same error, the text is as follows:

Incorrect communication packet (Time-out error).
Check cable, comms port, and port assignment on the panel.

I don't have access to a null modem, what's that?

edit: i looked it up, no its usb and the brand is NXT Technologies. Neither work and both give the same error and Like I've said i went in and changed com ports around

not sure where to go from here

Error code 2
Command: 18

so, i'm not sure how good the quality of the AD cable is.. but generally one of the better converters you can buy is a tripp-lite USA-19HS, it works with most things.

without a pinout it's going to be hard to determine if you need a null modem or not. The cable EZ-touch sells for the panels could be swapped as they don't sell a serial converter with it, its just a db9 to db9 cable (which probably means it's null modem) unless the pinouts are different altogether, which isn't normal for cheaper equipment, they don't spend the money to change things around when they can buy components premade to install.

I wouldn't trust an amazon serial converter.

and the EA-MG-PGM-CBL uses prolific drivers. there was a rash of counterfeit chips out there. not saying the one you have isn't real, but I also don't know whether or not the drivers you have are legit or are blocking your adapter. I try to stick with known good products.

I've seen a lot of places buy cheap 9300-usbs rockwell adapters that are labeled as a 1.0 or 2.0 series which used the prolific chips, and they all end up not working due to the counterfeit issue and there being so many out there.

how are you connecting the AD adapter to the HMI?

from what i can see it has 2 serial ports, a db9 and db15 and no RJ12 port that the AD adapter would fit for the correct pinout to be used.

I did find this. not sure if it's going to be 100% accurate for yours though. if it is accurate, it looks like the cable is straight through but may have some internal connections.

In this situation I would just use some breakout boards and make my own.

image-asset.png

Here.

https://www.ezautomation.net/downlo...ions/Troubleshooting-Communication-errors.pdf

Make sure you are using an EZ-PGMCBL. A standard RS-232 cable will not work. You may
either purchase an EZ-PGMCBL or fabricate one on site by using the wiring diagram in Appendix
A. Verify the integrity of the cable confirming continuity.
 Refer to Appendix B to determine if a software/firmware incompatability exists.
 Check the port selection on the EZTouchPanel. Do this by pressing the upper and lower left
corners simultaniously. Press the English button, and finally the Assign Ports button. COM1
should be reporting a Computer. If not, select COM1 using the up/down arrows then press the
Computer button.
 Check that you have the appropriate computer port selected in the EZTouch software

looks like the diagram came from the appendix of this document. you need to either buy their adapter, or make one to loop your DTR,DSR, and CTS back to your adapter so the software can go forward with comms.