connecting to remote CompactLogix+eweb without VPN

italo2008

Hi

I have to modify ladder logic (using a notebook with RSLogix 5000) in a CompactLogix PLC with eweb module. The PLC is on a remote LAN, and with a VPN I can do this. Now, Is it possible doing this without a VPN? (connecting directly to the PLC?)

I tried, in rslinx, with an ethernet driver and an ethernet/IP driver (browsing remote subnet),setting the IP of the remote LAN, but it doesn't work. The PLC is connected via ethernet to the remote router. What's the port to be opened on the router of PLC's LAN? 44818? isn't it?

noVPN1.JPG

I applied this rule to the LAN IP of eweb module (192.168.1.2). Isn't correct?

Sounds strange. If you are directly connected to the same router/LAN as the PLC and you have the ethernet driver setup correctly, you should be able to connect.

Is your notebook's IP address set as "static" and on the same network as the PLC's IP address?

sorry, I want to connect to the PLC's lan over the internet... with a VPN it works, now I'm trying to connect without a VPN... on PLC's lan router there's an option for VPN passthrough, but without a VPN I'm not sure about parameters to be set,and also about drivers to be configured in rslinx (ethernet device? ethernet/ip device?)

Last edited:
I would start by pinging the PLC's IP address. (Windows Start - RUN - CMD - Type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", with the x's being the PLC's IP Address)

If you get no response, then it is a network problem and not related to the PLC or RSLinx.

I tried typing "ping myhostname.dyndns.org" (PLC lan has dynamic IP address), and I have bad results (all packets lost...). I suspect that router configuration is wrong....

Last edited:
I have been able to do something like this using port forwarding in the router. Just figure out what ports RSlogix uses and forward them to your PLC. Then when you hit the external address of the router, it should send that traffic right to plc.

The "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx uses an IP broadcast to detect devices on the network, so it will not work with port forwarding (or many VPNs).

Instead, use the "Ethernet Devices" driver and put the router's public IP address into the list. You can add ":EIP" to the end of the IP address to specify to use the EtherNet/IP protocol instead of the older A-B CSPv4 protocol.

I very strongly recommend using a VPN to connect to your automation network from the Internet.

I very strongly recommend against exposing any TCP ports on your network to the Internet without protection.