Consistency of data during multi-register modbus transfers.

dexdyne said:
Whoever decided that 3.5 character times was significant compared with 3 or 4 anyway? SOmeone with nowt better to do I think.
No, whoever came up with th3 3.5 character gap was trying to be too clever because it is very hard to measure the character times given the hardware on a PC. Most just do the best they can. Modbus ASCII is not timing based it is much slower and I have found very few devices implement it.

I prefer the DF1 protocol because:
1. There are start and stop character sequences. DF1 does not care about counting character times.
2. The addressing range is larger.
3. One knows the data type.
4. One can transer data using full duplex when going point to point which means a device can be sending and receiving at the same time.