ContolLogix to Eurotherm 690+ again

jimtech67

Has anyone ever used ControlLogix with Eurotherm 690+ drives on ControlNet with a 1756-CNBR card or Ethernet with the 1756-ENBT card. I am evaluating which network would be better, cheaper and that kind of thing. Just wondering how complicated the communication set up is and stuff. I have read some and spoke to Eurotherm and it does not look too bad but hearing from someone who did is always good.

I guess I am looking for some reassurance, I have never used ControlLogix and I do not want get in trouble with this quote.

I have 8 drives. I am using this kind of communication because it is cheaper than all analog cards I would need.

Sorry about the double post some are posting disabled

Jim

There's an old saying: "I've got fast, cheap and good. You can pick two."

I strongly recommend ControlNet for an important application like AC drives. Although I get a lot of "gosh, we haven't had any problems" from folks implementing EtherNet/IP on drives, I am still not comfortable tempting users into RJ-45 connectors and cheap switches.

I have no direct experience using Eurotherm drives on ControlNet, but I think they use AnyBus network interfaces, which are well built and supported.

You're going to end up using a Generic Profile in RSLogix 5000 to set up the drive. It won't be obvious how to set that up; make sure you get a technote from Eurotherm ahead of time. I have long since lost patience with overseas suppliers who won't test or document the network interfaces they sell.

There's a Knowbase article, A8169, that describes using other AnyBus-based slave devices with RSLogix 5000.

We've used both ControlNet and DeviceNet with the 590/690 drives, and both of those work very well, with ControlNet being a bit easier to set up and more flexible.

I'd second Ken's suggestion to stay away from Ethernet. Ethernet/IP connections are fine for HMI's, and for commissioning, but I have a strong dislike for Ethernet for control.

Even using high quality cables, switches, and the like, eventually, some bored IT guy will decide that if it's got an RJ45, it should be connected to the corporate network.