Control Lenze 9300 inverters through CANOpen and Beckhoff PLC

GFle

Hello!

For my BSc in automation I am attempting to communicate with Lenze Servo Positioning inverters (e.g EVS9329-EP) for motion control. I am using a Beckhoff PLC with EL6751 CANOpen and Twincat 3.

In Twincat 3, under devices, I have created CANOpen nodes and loaded EDS-files. My questions are as follows:

Since the 9300 inverters are using Lenze System Bus CAN, PDO mapping does not seem possible. How can I send and receive data from the inverter and know what kind of data I am looking at?

When creating new axis under NC-task I can choose between encoder axis, continuous axis and discrete axis. What are the differences between them?

Any help, or clues to where I can find out more would be greatly appreciated!

Gjermund.

Hello,

I have a similar task, but with another servo drive.
Did you manage to link a NC axis to your CanOpen box?

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you

Hi, I'm afraid I didn't get to establish any connection with the servo drive on that project, before the deadline. But if I recall correctly I did manage to link the NC axis to the CanOpen box and it recognized it was a Lenze servo drive. When connecting to servo I got a "wrong parameters" error, or something similar.

Afraid I can't help you with your project but atleast I can wish you good luck!

CanOpen Vs Lenze Canbus

The 9300 drives do not support CanOpen protocol. They use the Lenze CanBus protocol.

The 9400 Servo drives do support CanOpen and the 8400 drives have a parameter to select between the 2 protocols.