Control Logix Encoder Input

Brijm

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking for either an alternative Card to the ControlLogix HSC module to monitor several quadrature encoder inputs. I may have up to 12 encoders, and don't need any outputs.

At ~$800 each, and 2 in /4 out, the HSC card isn't going to cut it. I might need to make my own AOI for a High speed input card, however wanted to check here for a premade solution first. (My search for Encompass products didn't produce any results either)

Thanks,

You can scrap the quads and go with absolute endocers 8 bits or something.
Then, use fast DC Inputs and you're on your way.
8 bits enocder = 8 input points.
You will pay for the encoders though, cheaper ones around $250.00

You might find some MO2AE cards on ebay if you don't mind using used components. Alot of people are replacing them now days. I don't know what they cost new probably more than the HSC

The key question is: how fast will your inputs be running ?

Do you need to act on specific count events ?

You might be able to use one of the POINT or FLEX devices.

To echo Ken above, you might find it much less expensive to use a PointIO adapter, and PointIO encoder modules.
The 1734-IJ and IK are counter only modules, with no outputs. The 1734-VHSC5 and VHSC24 are counter modules with 4 outputs. I've taken to using them around here instead of the chassis based modules.

They work great on all of my ControlNet drops, and I typically put them physically close to the actual encoders.

TCO is a tough one to figure out sometimes, but on the last three large jobs I've done here, I've found that scattering around PointIO drops, even with local power supplies ends up being much less expensive to install then home-running everything to the main chassis racks.

Without going into details, I would use:
- 1734-VHSC, IJ or IK
- 1734-SSI (if you want SSI encoders)
- 1756SC-CTR8 - spectrum counter - up to 8 channels on board in counter mode, 4 in encoder

Thanks all for your advice. I like the look of the spectrum counter. This will be on a small press control, and I distributed I/O may be difficult to justify. But I will probably use either the Point IO or this.

Thanks Agian.