Control Logix Programmable Limit Switch

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone here use the 1756-PLS or the AMCI 8213?

Have a customer that wants to replace an old autotech that stitches glue. The on/off cycle is 32ms on, 16ms off, with 1ms equating to .04 inches, which is near the tolerance of positioning. So anything that requires a 2ms update time in CLX is out, which due to RPI's means no HSC card coupled with output modules. I know the HSC has a couple of outputs that can be tied to position windows and turn on outside of PLC scan, but it's limited to two windows and I need at least 4 or more for the patterning.

The customer doesn't want to use another standalone PLS, but wants it integrated into an existing L71 ver 20 PLC. Hence why I'm looking at the two solutions above. I'm open to any other suggestions or anyone's thoughts that has had experience with either module.

I used AMCI products with SLC and PLC-5 controllers and they were outstanding. Easy to program (even with block transfers), reliable, straightforward documentation. I suspect they will be even easier to use with the Logix 5K platform.

I used their HT-20 resolvers with modules that had no outputs as well as one machine that did have built in outputs on the PLC-5 module and they did what the mfg. said they would do. With more than a hundred of them in use for many years, we never had a resolver fail, only a few broken connectors over the years. When you climb all over a machine and use the cables like a rope ladder, that is to be expected.

Last edited: