control logix-Rsnetworks

sandy5020

Hi,

I am new to rockwell system jus learning the things as I have experience in other systems.

Now I am facing a problem with the .dnt file provided by client

when I open the file in rsnetworks all listed device showing a ? question mark

then I tried to install the eds files for the devices and showing successfully installed but when I save and open the same ? is there. how to resolve this issue and if download my program to controller any fault will come??
I dont want to disturb the system just logic modifications required

Thanks
sandeep

The *.DNT file generally includes the Scanlist for the DeviceNet Scanner module, and often also sets of parameters for the slave devices.

It is not loaded into the PLC controller and will not affect the program in the PLC. You can edit the PLC program all day and it will not change the Scanlist configuration or anything in the slave devices.

The question marks probably are still appearing because you did not in fact register the correct EDS files.

There have been some major changes to the way EDS files are managed in Studio 5000 v21, RSLinx Classic 3.50 and later, and RSNetworx v21. If you are using any of those software products, you must upgrade them all to get full functionality out of anything that uses EDS files, including RSLinx Classic and RSNetworx.

Hi ken,

Thanks for the quick reply.... I am interested to learn more

I have installed rsnetworks v11.0 and rslogix 5000 v20.0

and my devicenet devices are numatics g3 should I upgrade my rsnetworks ? or how do i get the exact eds file for the devices

Thanks
sandeep

Installing any of the packages Ken listed will change the EDS File handling on your system as he states. Rockwell explain this fairly clearly in the documentation. What they are less clear about is that installing a new add on profile into Logix 5000 will also do this without warning so if you have added a new drive or other device which needed an extra profile you have probably inadvertently changed the EDS handling. The only way to resolve this is to update Linx and Networx as well.

hi,

I am not going to change anything in the dnt file or devicenet.... I just want to see the dnt configuration....

as ken explained I believe it will not make any problem for the devicenet if i do some logic modification and download.... correct?

thanks
sandeep

There are patches available for RSNetworx versions 10 and 11 to correct this. I've had to do it on both versions on different machines and it seems to have worked fine for me.

it will not make any problem for the devicenet if i do some logic modification and download

That is correct. The Scanlist configuration is stored in flash memory in the 1756-DNB module itself, not in the ControlLogix CPU.

The issue with the question marks may have nothing to do with the v21 EDS registration method, so I would not rush to perform patches or upgrades.

Instead, I recommend a handful of easy steps:

1. Review the process you used to register the EDS files. Just downloading them is not enough; you need to use the EDS Hardware Registration Tool.

That tool can be launched from within RSNetworx, or from the RSLinx Tools folder in the Windows Start menu.

Be aware that you should never place EDS files directly into the /RSCOMMON directory.

2. Determine the actual device type, device code, and device major firmware revision. This is easy to do with RSLinx Classic software; just browse to the device, right-click, and choose "Device Properties".

3. Determine the device type, device code, and device major revision that the EDS file is written for. Just open the EDS file in Notepad or any other text editor and look for the Type, Code, and Major Revision values in the identity data section at the top.

It is very common for third parties like Numatics to provide incorrect or out of date EDS files. Registering an EDS file for the wrong firmware revision or the wrong device type will not solve any problems with a different firmware revision or device type.

I very strongly recommend following my advice in steps 2 and 3 above.

There is no point in pursuing any other patches, upgrades, repairs or remedies until you are certain that your EDS files match your actual devices.

You say you have the EDS files for these valves. Post them here, or at least the second section, under the heading [DEVICE]

When you open up that *.DNT file in RSNetworx for DeviceNet (offline) you will see the icon for the Numatics G3 as a question mark.

Double-click on that icon and RSNetworx will ask you if you want to register the device. Click "No" and RSNetworx will show you the Device Information it has stored for that device.

In this RSNetworx file, the Numatics G3's are stored as:
Vendor ID = 52 (Numatics Inc)
Device Type = 27 (Pneumatic Valve)
Device Code = 100 (Unknown Device Code)
Device Major Revision = 2
Device Minor Revision = 1

When you open up the G3DN0101.EDS file, you'll see the second section that describes the identity information.

[Device]
VendCode = 52; $ Vendor Code
ProdType = 27; $ Product Type
ProdCode = 100; $ Product Code

MajRev = 2; $ Major Rev
MinRev = 1; $ Minor Rev

These are the steps I described previously when I insisted that the OP check the EDS files to be sure that they match the actual devices in the project.

When I opened up this project file in RSNetworx for DeviceNet version 10.01, both the 1756-DNB and the Numatics G3's were unregistered. They show up as a gray box with a white header and a gray question mark.

I double-clicked on a Numatics G3 and answered "Yes" to the "Do you want to register this device" question. You can do the same by right-clicking and selecting "Register Device", or by launching the EDS Hardware Installation Tool from the Tools -> EDS Wizard top level menu.

When I register the EDS, there's no Icon for it, so I can choose the default 3-D gray box, or I can select a similar icon from the ones included in RSNetworx by clicking the "Change Icon" button.

On my computer, this worked correctly. If you followed similar steps, it should have worked correctly for you as well.

It is possible that you have installed some software that broke the EDS subsystem shared by RSNetworx v11 and RSLogix 5000 v20.

What revision of RSLinx Classic do you have installed ? Version 2.59 is the maximum that you should have installed for compatibility of your RSNetworx and RSLogix software.