control logix to slc 504 message command

I am currently working on a system that involves messaging to and from a central control logix5555 processor. I am having trouble message to a 504, that has a logix chassy with a 1756-dhrio in slot 2, a 1756-enbt in slot 1, but no processor. the logix system is just used to put this line on our machine network. The com port on the 504 is already in use so I cannot put an eni unit on, like i did with some others
any input on how i can message back and forth would be helpfull
Thanks

All the directions for using the MSG instruction and the 1756-DHRIO are in the Instruction Set Reference and in the 1756-DHRIO User Manual. Make sure you have both.

The general principle is that you aren't really sending the MSG instruction to the SLC-5/04 itself. You're sending it to the 1756-DHRIO and telling it to take care of the DH+ messaging and report the result.

Are you familiar with how to construct a CIP Path ? You need to go from your ControlLogix, out of its Ethernet module, to the 1756-ENBT in this "bridge chassis", to the 1756-DHRIO in Slot 2.

Let's say the Ethernet module for the source ControlLogix is in Slot 5, and the IP address of the 1756-ENBT in the bridge chassis is 192.168.1.10.

The CIP Path would be:

1, 5, 2, 192.168.1.10, 1, 2

That routes the MSG instruction "to the backplane (1), to Slot 5 (5), out of the network port (2), to IP address 192.168.1.10, to the backplane (1) to Slot 2 (2)".

Post more about what you've tried, as well as any error messages you might have seen in the MSG instruction.

I am fimilar with the message command, no problems with the eni, the 505's and the micrologixs i set up to this main control logix
when doing the command message command to send to the 504 i'm trying
10.1.77.182 is the main control logix
10.1.77.112 is the network card (ENBT) in the bridge,in slot 1 of the chassy. Slot 2 is the dhrio card, with the 504 processor
cip path in the control logix is "ethernet_card,2,10.1.77.112,1,2"
i feel like i need a third number in there but it doesnt seem to like that

CIP Paths are pairs of values: "Port, Address".

The common Port numbers are just the Backplane (1) and the Network Port (2) and sometimes the second Network Port (3).

Addresses are Slot numbers, ControlNet or DeviceNet node numbers, or IP addresses.

When RSLogix 5000 recognizes that a Path pair is equivalent to a named module, it substitutes that module name.

So expressed in pairs, your Path is correct:

ethernet_card,

Once the message gets to the DHRIO, it's a DH+ message. You specify Channel A or Channel B, and the local DH+ node number. Leave the Source Link and Destination Link at zero.

With all that set up, trigger the MSG instruction just once and see what the error code is.

Aside: Where are you in Chatham ?

another way i was trying was setting it up like a producer/consumer in the control logix, will that work without a processor, i can see as far as the ethernet card on the bridge, but it errors out on the dhrio card?
i live in chatham ontario, work in rodney ontario

alright so now im talking from control logix to the 504, thanks for the info, now i have to try and talk from the slc, to the control logix, through the bridge, do i have to set up a routing table, with the ip of the control logixs

I guess there are a limited number of Canadian city names.... I assumed you were out in New Brunswick !

You definitely cannot Consume a tag across a DHRIO module; attempting to do so might mess up the module's other operations because it has to reject a lot of impossible connection requests.

To send a message from the SLC-5/04 to a ControlLogix is easy if the ControlLogix is in the same chassis as the 1756-DHRIO. But because you have to cross another CIP hop, it's more complicated and does involve the Routing Tables in the 1756-DHRIO.

All I can really do for that is point you to the User Manuals. My memory on these settings is hazy and I don't have any hardware or time to test with.

Good luck !

ok thanks for the info, i can't mess with the routing table right now anyways (the line im working on is running anyways)
i do have the dhrio user manual as well