controllogix 1756-l61 firmware update

nmk34

hello
i had a 1756-l61 with firmware ver 13.24. a solid red made the processor not functioning. i ordered a processor that came with firmware ver 1.0. i do not have a firmware ver 13.24. so, i went to ab.com and downloaded the firmware ver 20.7. the machine has a lot of motion servos that were running ok in ver 13.24 and not functioning in ver 20.7. i went to ab.com again and the only firmware close to ver 13.24 was ver 13.44.
i could not get ControlFlash, to see this downloaded firmware ver13.44. then i went to ab.com and downloaded ControlFlas ver 15 and does not see ver13.44 either, but can see higher.is there a work arround this?

Well, I tried to download v13.44, while it showed available, when I tried, it gave me the following big dumb message:

The selected product/version is retired and its downloads are no longer available from the Product Compatibility and Download Center website (PCDC). We recommend upgrading to the latest version of this product if compatible with your current system.

Note: To discuss Firmware options for this retired product/version please contact Technical Support. If this is a Purchased Software product/version and you cannot upgrade to a non-retired product/version please enter your serial number/product key here.

You can click "unlock", it appears that if you enter the correct credentials, you can get the firmware you need.

control logix firmware update

i did unlock the firmware download, and did downloaded. i can not get ControlFlash to recognize the unzipped folder as a firmware

ControlFlash by default only shows the same version and newer. It doesn't show older versions. There is a button that I think says something like Show All Versions. Once you click that it should show all older and newer compatible firmware versions.

OG

When I have downloaded individual firmware files recently, this is what I did to get it to work. I couldn't get the unzipped folder to do anything.

1) Change the file extension on the downloaded zip to dmk
2) Copy the dmk file to "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Rockwell Automation\Firmware Kits"
3) As OG stated, I think I had to select "Show All Versions"

controllogix firmware

no it is a folder with files in it. one is setup. my computer shows a popup that this file cannot run on your computer. is there a controlflash that has 1756-L61 firmware ver 13?

If I recall, old firmware kits came bundled with ControlFlash engine installer.
You have to run this Setup file.
There was no way to extract actual BIN and NVS files out of it, other than install that old version.
Techsupport may be able to give you the set of files that you needed without a controlFlash engine.

I see that too. The contents of the file include the firmware as well as the ControlFlash utility. The setup fails as the newest supported Windows version for this was Windows 95 and Windows won't allow it to run.

I'm going to try XP and see if that will work.

OG

It did install on XP and I can see the specific files. So if you can find an XP machine, install it there. If not, PM me and I will send you the files.

OG

i can see the firmware 13_44 in the dir of firmwarekits, but in the drop down of controlflash does not show it. i also downloaded controlflash plus, same. what else i can try?

firmwarever13.44.PNG

just upgrade the servo firmware, they should work.

Just kidding, just do what you were trying to do.

ControlFlash (and ControlFlash Plus) will not show the dmk file. You need to use the DMK extraction tool, which will unpack the dmk and register it with ControlFlash

ControlLogix firmware upgrad

thank you for your help.
i flashed the processor with controlflash on my xp laptop, it listed the firmware ver 13.44. After flashing the processor, every thing worked just fine.