Controllogix 5000 controller firmware loaded 15.56..pc has 18

mjaye65

Greetings,

We have an issue with a system loaded with what appears to be Controllogix 5000 controller firmware version 15.56. What just recently purchased currently have in our PC that was recently purchased is software firmware version 18.00 but it does not appear to have the support modules needed within it to connect to the Controllogix processor. I have not worked with AB since 05 so I am reaching out scratching for assistance.

I believe it is possible to upgrade the firmware on the processor with the version we do have but with us not having a backup of the program, if we corrupted the file or disruption during the flashing of the firmware revision, we lose the controller.
I would appreciate any assistance from the group you have always come through.
Thanks,

If you bought version 18 software then you are entitled to all the previous versions. They are usually on your CD/DVD install disk.
If not then they should be a free download from RA considering you just purchased version 18.
When you open the project, RSLogix will determine the correct version of software to run to mactch the revision. ie RSLogix will see the project was created with version 15 so it will open and run as version 15.

Regards Alan

Can I just load all the support modules. If I do an upload will it find what it needs or do I risk corrupting the file in use within the controller.

I have been commissioning new systems on ships for the last three years so I am Very rusty on AB applications. When I was a junior tech I used it every day.
Is there alot of differences betwen controllogix 5000 and RSlogix 5000. I used RSLogix most of the time back then. the modules using controllogix never gave me trouble on that vessel.

Alan has given you the answer....

Load up the DVD and install all the previous versions, back to V10

Then you can open any project in any revision 10 or above. What you will see is a delay when opening RSLogix5000, while it closes the current version (V18), and opens V15, then it will open the file with no "corruption" taking place. (Note there wasn't a general release of V14)

Now a small tutorial on the naming...

Logix5000 is the name of the family of hardware, consisting of ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix, DriveLogix, SoftLogix, and GuardLogix.

RSLogix5000 is the software package that is used to program, edit, and monitor projects for any of the above hardware platforms. The RS at the beginning stands for Rockwell Software.

HTH

Thanks for the information and the tutorial. I always knew they were both Rockwell software. My main experience is with RSLOGIX 500 and 5000, but I have never had to to do anything with ControlLogix devices even though they are on my vessels.
The vessel I am on now has Siemens step 7 throughout except for the Air handling systems.

We have one system that uses a vendor specific Virtual PLC I call it running on a Windows PC and it also controls a few Siemens Step 7 Remote racks. This system is a nightmare to troubleshoot and maintain. I hope I never see another Virtual system other than the one i am stuck with now.

Thanks again Guys for all the help and information