ControlLogix Downloading Options

razoh

Hello,

I am a beginner working with Allen Bradley Plc´s and I have the following problem: I am not able to download any online modification without stopping the PLC. The PLC key is set to REM and each time I try to perform a download, the PLC stops.

Anybody knows how to perform and online download as I can do with Siemens.

And can anybody explain to me the difference download options of Allen Bradley PLC´s

Thank you very much for your help

As far as I remember, in program mode when I try to download I will stop the CPU anyway. And what I need to do is to download changes without stopping the CPU runtime.

whenever you download a program, you have to stop the PLC from processing the existing program. You can't download "online".

there seems to be some confusion with the terminology; online change is when you edit the program online which doesn't involve a download.

I'm not familiar with Siemens but with AB you can do online editing. that is, any change you make is instantly running, no download is required. If you edit the program offline and want that change to take effect, you have to stop the PLC in order to download that offline change.

Then what I need to do is to edit the program online. But in which position it is necessary to set the key: REM or PROG.

For example if I am online with the CPU and in REM PROG mode, does any modification I make in the program go instantly to running, or do I need to do anything else?

I will try to understand better the concept "online editing", I use to consider that a download as well.

Thanks for your answer

From what I remember, if you are using RSLogix 5000, leave the key in REM position and "go ONLINE".

I think if the program is different then the one you have open it will ask you to upload the program.

Once the updated program is on your screen, you can double click on the rung you need to edit. After doing that, right click on the edited rung and go to accept edits.

Then you can compile the program.

the magic word you're looking for is "Accept" ... that means SEND a rung (or a series of rungs) FROM the computer TO the PLC ...

the word "Download" means to send the ENTIRE PROJECT (rungs, memory, EVERYTHING) FROM the computer TO the PLC ...

note that after you "Accept" the rungs (send to the processor) you must next "Test Edits" to tell the processor to "act on the changes" ...

then (if you like the results of the test) you should "Assemble" the edits to clean up and make everything nice and neat again ...

the key must be in the REM (Remote) position in order for this to work ...

PS Edit ... in most versions of RSLogix5000 there is a "Finalize" button which will automatically do ALL of the steps I've listed above ... the potential problem is that there isn't an "oops!" key in case the rung edits that you're doing don't work out to suit you ...

Last edited:
the magic word you're looking for is "Accept" ... that means SEND a rung (or a series of rungs) FROM the computer TO the PLC ...

the word "Download" means to send the ENTIRE PROJECT (rungs, memory, EVERYTHING) FROM the computer TO the PLC ...

note that after you "Accept" the rungs (send to the processor) you must next "Test Edits" to tell the processor to "act on the changes" ...

then (if you like the results of the test) you should "Assemble" the edits to clean up and make everything nice and neat again ...

the key must be in the REM (Remote) position in order for this to work ...

PS Edit ... in most versions of RSLogix5000 there is a "Finalize" button which will automatically do ALL of the steps I've listed above ... the potential problem is that there isn't an "oops!" key in case the rung edits that you're doing don't work out to suit you ...

This sounds so familiar. I believe it’s etched in my brain. :D

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your answers. As I am talking about a PLC which is critical for the process, I will wait until the manteinance stop to try to edit online the code.

Anyway thank you very much for your help

The official word from RA, is that the "Finalise Edits" button should be reserved for online edits which you are 100% certain have no impact on safety, especially of injury to personnel, or damage to machinery or process.

Could be a little more serious than an "oops!" !

The ACCEPT/TEST/ASSEMBLE sequence has been around for years, and was in the old DOS-based 6200 series software, driven by function keys F1, F2, & F3.

If I remember correctly it was:-
F3 - Accept Edits
F2 - Test Edits
F1 - YES
F2 - Assemble Edits
F1 - YES

I wish I had a pound (or a dollar) for everytime i've typed that sequence F3,F2,F1,F2,F1, and most times just rattled it off very rapidly.

But with the change to windows-based RSLogix, the GUI steps in, and makes you point and shoot a mouse-click at what you want to do. So the sequnce becomes:-

point at Accept Edits - click
point at the ensuing YES option dialog - click (a new step)
point at Test Edits = click
point at the ensuing YES option dialog - click
point at Assemble Edits = click
point at the ensuing YES option dialog - click

I heard that RA were inundated with requests from "seasoned" programmers for a quicker way, (and presumably one that was less likely to bring on RSI), and hence the "Finalise" button was introduced (I don't remember what version it was).

When you Accept Edits, a new copy of the edited rung is put into the program, but it will not be executed, the original rung will be. Test Edits tells the processor to execute any new rungs instaed of the original rungs.

Don't forget that after the Test Edits operation you can always use Untest Edits. This will put the code back to what it was originally, you then have the option to re-edit the code, or to Cancel Edits.

Be wary of having more than 1 person editing in the same Program in a ControlLogix processor. Using Test, Untest, Cancel, Assemble operations will affect all rungs within the same Program.

You can obtain exclusive editing rights by using the Lock Controller function, no-one else will be able to perform online edits while you have it locked