ControlLogix: IO adapter/extender slot allocation

AREDA

Hi All

What I understood from various manuals (e.g. rm094 & um543) is that you have the freedom to allocate any module to any slot. I understand that modules for IO that need to be scanned on priority/fast, should be in the local chassis to avoid another hop via the IO adapters.

I don't usually like that, when browsing the modules in the controller organiser tree how all the racks interrupt the main/local rack then you resume the rest of the modules after collapsing all the other rack groups, so I've chosen to put the IO extender in the last slot of the rack for my upcoming project, does anyone see any issue doing that?

Thanks

AREDA

Can you move the communication module(s) to the end of the chassis?

Thanks for your response, Joseph.

Are you asking or suggesting? If suggesting, then yes this is what I've considered in my new design and my question is if this poses any practical problems/issues?
If asking, then this makes it the two of us :D

Asking and suggesting maybe? I was mainly wondering if the last slots were empty so the ENxx could be moved to the end without too much disruption.
I'm not aware that slot location makes any difference at all in the ControlLogix world. I could be wrong, though...

I'm not aware that slot location makes any difference at all in the ControlLogix world.
It makes no practical difference at all. Your rationale for putting it at the end of the rack is as valid a reason as any other, go for it!