ControlLogix - Modbus TCP & EtherNet/IP

rngtech

Hello all,

I was wondering if you clever people could help me, please.

In the past I have used a standalone L33ER CompactLogix PLC with the Modbus TCP AOI to talk to another Modbus TCP device. I know its not as good as a standalone Prosoft etc, but seemed to work fine (the customer does not like using other modules/gateways).

The site I am working on now has a ControlLogix rack with a Logix5572 with EtherNet/IP Module. The Ethernet module connects to a Hirschmann switch which has a HMI and a MicroLogix PLC.

Am I able to connect my new Modbus TCP system to the switch, implement the Modbus TCP AOI to the PLC and then allow these 2 Modbus systems to communicate, as well as maintaining the original connection between from the Logix5572 and the HMI/MicroLogix PLC? If this is possible, is it only with the 1756-EN2T Ethernet/IP Module, and not the 1756-ENBT.

Thank you!

Yes. Any Ethernet switch will carry both the EtherNet/IP traffic as well as the Modbus TCP traffic (along with any other Ethernet protocol).

Should be fine. Also, if that MicroLogix is a 1400 Series B/C, it can communicate via Modbus TCP natively.

1756-ENBT does not support sockets. EN2T does.
Also this Ethernet module must be in the same chassis as controller.

Otherwise, what you described should be Ok.