MODBUS TCP to ControlLogix

Gabe1

Hello All,

I'm looking for the Coles notes on how to inferface a Modbus TCP device (compressor controller) with a Logix 1756 L72 running V24. I've done a little reading but not enough to really have a handle on what the configuration/install might look like. I'm sure much of this has been covered in other threads. My apologies, if so. First question I have is: Do I absolutely need to have an hardware interface module such as those offered by ProSoft?

Cheers

Hello All,

I'm looking for the Coles notes on how to inferface a Modbus TCP device (compressor controller) with a Logix 1756 L72 running V24. I've done a little reading but not enough to really have a handle on what the configuration/install might look like. I'm sure much of this has been covered in other threads. My apologies, if so. First question I have is: Do I absolutely need to have an hardware interface module such as those offered by ProSoft?

Cheers

safe yourself alot of time(and money) and use something like a red lion datastation or a maple systems cmt-g01

Modbus TCP AOI released in 2020 are available in Sample Code library and easy to use.
No extra hardware to purchase.

For smaller applications like yours. The AOI that Contr_Conn mentioned is the way to go.
I have implemented it several times in last year or so, works much better than the old subroutine did. I recommend you run it in a dedicated routine, I usually use a 50ms routine.

+1 for the Red Lion gateway.
The Modbus TCP AOI from Sample Code Library is -indeed- a vast improvement over previous gen of the same AOI. However, I still feel like it's bloated beyond what it could be (several nested AOIs, duplicate working variables of significant size, remnants of previous code, etc). If memory is not a concern, an external gateway is not desirable, and multiple end-devices are not required, this AOI also gets a +1.

+2 for the RedLion DSP

I have lost days on things like this - Use a RedLion and its done in a morning....

The Spectrum Controls Universal Gateway can be setup in about 30 minutes and doesn't require any software to set it up nor does it involve any PLC programming.

Look for the Modbus Add on instruction in RA knowledge base.

Look for the Modbus Add on instruction in RA knowledge base. I looked at and am interested to hear more. Never tried it myself

The Spectrum Controls Universal Gateway can be setup in about 30 minutes and doesn't require any software to set it up nor does it involve any PLC programming.

i too recommend spectrum controls universal gateway, its a very simple and easy set up device, in fact Firejo recommended it to me in a past thread an i VERY am thankful he did. (Thanks Mate)