ControlLogix Redundancy RM2 GSV

Oceansoul

I am writing some GSV's to get the status of our redundant contrologix for display/alarming on the SCADA system.
I have found the GSV's for primary chassis etc, and secondary chassis faults, a DINT word for all the syncronising status etc But i am looking to see if it is possible to get a GSV status if one of the two fiber patch leads between modules fails. I see the module itself has LED's to show if one fails, but nothing that is in the GSV.

Can anyone help? I have read all the manuals, but see no mention of the fiber cables in there (looks like it was all written for the older SRM modules).

I am using the 1756-RM2

Hi,

Have you looked at Rockwell PlantPAx before? We've used it with the redundant architecture several times and it is very comprehensive. There are several faceplates and AOIs for all of the redundant processor range. Even if you don't implement it fully, you can just extract the AOI you need to interface with the redundancy modules.

Regards,

Rob

Hi.
You can use a CIP message to get the status of the fiber on the RM2 module.

CIP Generic Message - Get Attribute Single
Class: 0x305
Instance: 0x1
Attribute: 0x4E (Channel 1) or
0x4F (Channel 2)
Return Value is a signed DINT, Value Equals:
1 = ACTIVE
2 = REDUNDANT
3 = LINK_DOWN
4 = TRANSCEIVER_NOT_INSTALLED
5 = TRANSCEIVER_FAILED
7 = UNKNOWN
The ControlLogix application code running in the Primary controller can monitor the Secondary's 1756-RM2 fiber channels.

Thanks GuardJanR. I know i had seen this before but couldnt remember where or how to do it.

However i am getting an error when typing the MSG instruction. It doesnt like the class 0x305. Also, what is the path for the RM2 module? As it is not required to be in the IO tree, it doesnt show as part of the CIP path?

Last edited:
The path is for the RM2 in your primary chassis: 1,1 (if your RM2 is in slot 1), if you also want the satus of the secondary chassis you have to also include the IP and slot for ethernet card, i think.
You don't have to type the "0x" its just put there to indicate that it is in hex, the input field is also hex.