ControlLogix requiring upload nearly every time?

JRoss

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everybody.
I have a customer that is having an odd issue with one of their PLCs. It's a 1756-L75 with an extremely large program in it that controls a batching system. Everything works fine, but every time we go online with the system, it forces us to upload, which takes quite a while. I haven't had to work with the system much, but the guys who do say that if it's only been a day or so they can usually go right online, but any more than that and they have to upload.

Any ideas what might cause this to happen, and is there anything we can do to correct the issue?

In case it's important, the PLC is part of a FactoryTalk Batch system, and the plant also uses AssetCentre for code control.

Thanks!

What firmware version?

This was something that plagued us for a bit on a system running either of 20/24 IIRC.

Another idea, maybe perform a Logix-enema:

• Save as L5K
  • Open Logix
  • File Open
  • Open L5K to generate new ACD
  • Go online/upload, save
  • Hopefully it doesn't happen anymore

v32.11 firmware

I'll have to confirm this since the plant engineer isn't here today, but I seem to remember he said this all happened after they upgraded the processor to the L75 v32. Before that they didn't have an issue.

I'll try regenerating the project, though with AssetCentre I might have to jump through some hoops to get the regenerated project into the system. I don't have admin access.

Thanks!

Had same issue with asset center not updating the file after changes were made.
We validated it was an asset center issue by not having the application delete the local copy.

Rebooting my computer to ensure i was working fresh, and opened up the file from my acw folder and it went online with no upload requirement.

Closed everything out, got a copy from asset center and had to upload to go online.

Since this issue, I have stopped deleting the local copy and when I select Open from asset center I just use the local version and not the archived version. I don't control asset center, and now I don't have to fight with the "old" archive files either.

Must be some issue with larger files then, because they don't have any issues with the other 60 or so PLCs they have in AssetCentre.

I'll have to give not deleting a try. Unfortunately, there's a team of engineers and electricians who have access to the files, so might not be a slam dunk. Might help though, thanks.

Okay, v32 never gave me that issue. I resign.
What a shame that you resign too early.

Here is my thought.

1. Making sure EVERYONE including the tech at night using the SAME version, preferably v32.04, not 03, not 02, not 01, not 00.

2. Make some changes, then save it.

3. Wait for the fish to take the bait.