Controlnet Panelview

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

My current project involves using a panelview 1400 with controlnet. This is my first job using control logix, and do I have lots to learn.

My question is this, I tried without succes to address a multistate indicator to the bit level of an array word {array_1[10].0}. The array is configured as an INT, and I have used whole words in this array for message displays, but haven't been able to use individual bits. Two screens I built have a total of 83 multistate indicators (using just states 0 and 1), and I wanted to use 6 words of a 70 word array, and not 6 words of the 32 configured for the panelview. When I first downloaded to the panelview, these two screens showed error states for every indicator. After changing the addresses using the words configured in the processor for the panelview, everything works fine.

Anyone have a clue?

did you make tags in your control logix to make the panelview think its talking to a slc or plc 5. such as b3:4/5 to the bit level and b3:4 to the word level. I had trouble when i first set up a control logix using an allen bradley here is an example
base tag-------------------------alias tag
array_1[10] B3:0
bit level
array_1[10].0 B3:0/0
array_1[10].1 B3:0/1
get the idea when you configure tags in the panelview program
type in b3:0/0 if you want the panel view to look at the array_1[10].0 bit
I am not sure if this is what your talking about but i hope it helps
I just might be confusing you

Thanks for replying EG,
After failing to get these multistate indicators to work using individual bits within array words, I created a "bool" array 90 elements in size. I then changed the tag addresses in the Panelview program to this new array, but upon validation, panelbuilder alerted me to errors in the tag addresses. It seems Panelbuilder doesn't know what type of an array an address is, it just knows to look for a bit delimiter when an indicator or message display is configured to the bit level.

Just a shot in the dark, I'm wondering if a Controllogix processer doesn't translate INT data into binary.

The Standard PanelViews were designed in the era of 16-bit controllers like the PLC-5 and SLC-500. They've had some catching up to do in their support of ControlLogix data types.

There's a decent Knowbase document that summarizes the stuff that's spread out through the online Help in PanelBuilder. Check out Knowbase document A19862

The easy fix is to go into ControlLogix and change your Array_1[10] from INT datatype to DINT datatype. You'll then be able to address the individual Bits in the DINT.

It's just a weird quirk of PanelBuilder that they chose to support INT data types only as integers, not as bits within those integers (which SLC users are very accustomed to).

Usually I put all my pushbuttons and multistate bit-triggered indicators into the Scheduled Data part of the ControlNet connection between the PanelView and the ControlLogix (I think you mentioned you've defined 32 Words for that), and I put my lower priority numeric display and numeric entry data into unscheduled Tags that I address individually. I still try to put them into Arrays in the Logix... that makes comms much more efficient.

Ken,

I believe I did read in the panelbuilder online help where it did support a DINT array to the bit level. I've just had this job dumped in my lap after the original programmer decided to venture to greener pastures, so I'm mostly "winging it". As of right now, I have some serious controlnet issues, and it has been suggested that we replace this panelview with one configured for E-net, not that there's anything wrong with the one we're using, just the network set-up is hosed. If that happens, I sure hope your around like you were last year when you bailed me out of trouble.

Thanks,

Jeff

What else is up with the ControlNet ? I'll be on the road for the next four days so I fear I won't be of much help... make sure you correspond with my buddies back at RA Tech Support !