Contrologix PID Vs PIDE

The Plc Kid

What is the difference between the pid and pide instruction? Where and why would i use one as opposed to the other. My equipment has pid instructions but a new oven that we are getting soon has PIDE.

PIDE - We migrated for the built-in Auto Tune

From Google Search:
"The PIDE (Enhanced PID) is an Allen Bradley Logix5000 family (ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix, SoftLogix) function block that improves on the standard PID found in all their controllers. First impressions of this function block are quite intimidating. If you try to dive into it head first you may just end up banging your head against a wall. Many will be quite happy to stick with the tried and true PID instruction but to compete with the more advanced process control applications the PIDE boasts the following.
  • It uses the velocity form of the PID algorithm. This is especially useful for adaptive gains or multiloop selection.
  • Control of the instruction can be switched between Program and Operator modes.
  • Better support for cascading and ratio control.
  • Built in autotuner (requires extra key)
  • Support for different timing modes
  • More limiting and fault handling selections. "
My $0.02 worth:

We integrated many electic heating applications using PID, Works Great. Previously, we would manually enter PID values, and manually adjust if necessary.

Later, we migrated to PIDE, and implemented the Auto-Tune function. The Auto-tune is started from a STATIC, steady state, and applies a CV output, and measures the ACTUAL physical dynamics of the installed system. The auto tune will learn the thermal-lag, and the thermal SLOPE (system capability), and return three sets of PID terms, that you can choose from to implement.

In general, we were pleased with the PIDE.