Conversion from 1305 to 525, 1203-sm1 issue

jwig

Hi all.

I am currently on a project or updating a panel with a slc 5/04 processor controlling 3 1305 drives via a 1203-sm1 SCAN Port. The company is wanting to update the plant to remove the DH+ network and is starting with this bit of kit as it seems the most complex. Looking at using 3 525 2.2kw inverters and control them through Ethernet at the I/O rack is currently full.
My question is has anyone done this or something similar? I have used the conversion software and added my 525's to the project changing the placeholder tags to the VFD tags.
Just any information anyone has would be much appreciated. I've used the KB but they just point at the 1203-sm1 manual.

Cheers

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

I presume you're migrating to a ControlLogix or CompactLogix controller, correct ? Are you going to use a 1747-AENTR adapter in the SLC-500 chassis to replace the SLC-5/04 CPU ?

If you can ZIP and attache your *.RSS file (and your converted *.ACD file if possible), folks can give you some direct advice.

In general, the 1203-SM1 gave you some blocks of data in the I/O table that represented the Control / Status discrete words, and the Reference / Feedback analog values. You could also configure "DataLinks" to read and write additional parameters in the drive with every I/O scan.

The PowerFlex drives on EtherNet/IP work similarly; you will even see similarities in the Control and Status bit pattern. You also have access to DataLinks, which come over the network with descriptive tag names.

Hi Ken and thanks for the reply.

Yes I am converting from a 5/04 to a L33er using the 1747-AENTR.
I will also be changing two other 5/04's to 5/05's to make the messaging easier and create a mini SCADA system (need to prove the concept before the money comes). I have been able to change the obvious I/O from the ScanPort tags the 525 drive tags.
Being new to this level of programming (was a shift maintenance engineer and have moved to controls, awaiting the more in depth training) how would you find the DataLinks, I found the information from the KB but was unsure on how to read them, is it from the controller itself or set up using DriveExecutive?

Unfortunately I am unable to post files with programmes, company policies and I quite like this job.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

John

Thanks for that additional info !

You can read all about 16-bit SCANPort DataLinks (these apply to the 1305/1336+ generation of drives) in various user manuals and knowledgebase documents, so I'll try to be concise.

For reasons related to old A-B controller architectures, 16-bit DataLinks are set up in pairs, with each group lettered A, B, C, D. A total of eight parameters can be read as Inputs (A1,A2,B1,B2,C1,C2,D1,D2) and eight as Outputs.

The direction nomenclature can be tricky for us PLC programmers, since it's from the drive's own perspective.

A "DataLink In" is an input to the drive, so it's mapped from the PLC's Output data table.

A "DataLink Out" is an output from the drive, so it's mapped to the PLC's Input data table.

The "map" between drive parameters and DataLinks is done inside the drive's SCANPort-related parameters. If you have DriveExecutive or DriveTools, you can use that software, or you can go through manually with the keypad module. Parameters 111-118 designate the "DataLink IN" parameters, and Parameters 119-126 designate the "DataLink OUT" parameters.

The 1305 drive enables DataLinks groups A,B,C,D using DIP switches. You can put a parameter link into the drive but it won't be active unless the DIP switch is set correctly.

I would go through each of the drives and look to see if Parameters 111-126 are anything but zero. If they are, then verify the DIP switches to be sure the related DataLinks are enabled, and then look in the SLC-500 program to see how each Input and Output word are used.

This doesn't need to get complex; it's a matter of just eight parameters in either direction. Just get it documented.