convert .rsp file to .rss

jfw1964

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me convert this PLC5 file to something that I can open with Logix500. Please help if you can. Thanx

Sorry, there is no conversion tool to convert RSP files to RSS files. There are fundamental differences between the PLC/5 and SLC that would make any conversion unreliable.

I printed a PDF for you, however the complete project report file is 3.13 megabytes, too large to attach to a forum post. If you'll send me a private message with your email address I'll send it to you.

I also exported it to a library file - so at least you would have the rung mnemonics which you could edit with notepad and cut/paste into a SLC500 library file for import - thats a lot of manual work, but if you are needing to translate the program from one platform to another it may be helpful. I would be willing to email you both.

Last edited:
Someone might be able to print a PDF of it but otherwise the conversion you are asking for is from one type of PLC (PLC5) to another (SLC/Micrologix). This is definately not a trivial undertaking.

(I'm just too slow)

Last edited:
Thank you Alaric and Bernie for your quick responses. I had looked this up on the AB site and there was some mention of saving the file in a text format, then I can import the text format into Logix500.

Thank you Alaric and Bernie for your quick responses. I had looked this up on the AB site and there was some mention of saving the file in a text format, then I can import the text format into Logix500.

That is the export I mentioned in my first post, I edited it so you may have missed it. It is possible, but like Bernie said, it is not trivial and is the kind of thing that only expert programmers should tackle.

I got your PM, you should get the file in a minute.

i am not an expert by any means.. but i am in the same boat... we bought some machinery that had control net flex i/o... i bought a slc5/04 cpu, chassis, and the 1747-sn and a 1794-ASB module.. then i had the company send me the program... and of course its a .RSP file... i have the time.. how does one save as a text file and import?

Did you have a recent thread on another forum about this ? The issue sounds familiar.

Did your vendor also include a *.XC file with the ControlNet map in it ?

How many FLEX adapters are there ? What I/O modules are installed on the adapters ?

Is this machine the only equipment controlled by that PLC-5 controller ?

Ken,

you are correct that in your guess about an earlier post.. I purchased the hardware we spoke about, and have contacted the OEM for the program. They supplied me with a .RSP file and stated that, "[FONT=&quot]This original program is AB RSLogix5 on Control-Net"..

with this setup, i have the one SLC5/04 chassis with the 1747-SN, a 1794-ASB installed on the Flex IO rack and the Flex rack has three 1794-IB16 modules and two 1794-OB16's.

And for your final question, this was not the only machine originally controlled by said PLC5, there were two other 6 pack erectors controlled. Although, in my application, there will be the one machine controlled by this SLC5/04.

Thank you,
Jason Lash
[/FONT]

post the RSP file here - you'll have to zip it first (forum rule) ...

and confirm please - you DO have the RSLogix500 software - right? ...

luckily the program isn't too large ...

the export/import didn't work too well - mostly due to the gross diffences in the addressing schemes ... this is basically just a Copy-and-Paste of the rungs from the PLC-5 platform to the SLC-5/04 platform ...

you'll have to rearrange the addresses to match your gear ...

also - the PLC-5 program made use of MCP (Main Control Programs) which the SLC platform doesn't support ... I put in a few JSR rungs for you into Ladder File #2 - which should at least get you scanning - once you get that far along ...

good luck with your project ...

ron, thank you!

one thing i have noticed though, is one of my inputs are addressed.. I:70/17.. on the flex IO modules they numbered the wires 1-7 and then 10-17.. is there a reason for this? and will my program recognize the proper address the 16th node?