converting legacy plc

Hey JeffKiper, have you had any experience with P&H ASRS cranes before?

Not with p&h cranes, we custom built some with kone cranes.
We used a redlion HMI and the web interface to load the locations for pickup. It was a nice easy system. We did it the simple way. We allow the operator to pick the sequence of things to pick up.

Last edited:
I will get specific info on the plc hardware and post the program.
If you are planning to keep these cranes in service for many years, you should look at converting the program to the ControlLogix PLC platform. Whether that will be easy or hard depends on what documentaion you have - wiring drawings, I/O list, process description, print-out of the PLC2 program, instruction manuals. If you have a lot of documents, then many experienced programmers could do the conversion.

Without good documentation, the job would be long and difficult. First, gather all available documents into one file location and evaluate what you have.

Documentation what is that? Is that part of the binder that is in the old old old Electrical engineers office that nobody knows about?

Documentation what is that? Is that part of the binder that is in the old old old Electrical engineers office that nobody knows about?
Stuff that old....... He most likley took it to the grave with him......

Is that part of the binder that is in the old old old Electrical engineers office that nobody knows about?
Yes, that is it. Very important, but few people realize the value until they actually NEED it.

Thanks

Thanks for the input on the legacy plc conversion. It has allowed me to bring up the urgency of this problem. The plan is to go to compactlogix. Most of the program is simple I/O, with BCD and remote communication for address instruction. We will try to use a local automation shop to do this. All input was appreciated sarcasim and all.