Converting program from RS Logix500 to 5000

AB2005

Hi;

I have converted a program from RS Logix500 to RS Logix5000 but in RS Logix500, there was description of each bit and integer etc but in converted program there is no any description imported. Why?
The controller we have is L35E version 19.11 but during conversion steps, available version of L35E was 18.

Hi,
I think it is the way that logix 5000 allocates its memory ie its all user configurable and tag based. where as logix 500 had dedicated N,B,F,T etc. The conversion Knows 1 bit of memory is BOOL and allocates its tag as the dedicated memory address from logix 500 and so the description is lost :)

When you saved the SLC500 program as a .SLC library file prior to translation, did you also export the database? Only the ladder logic is imported from the .SLC library file. To get the comments you must first save the file as a .SLC file, then do a save as again and select export database and select the APS format.

Follow the step by step instructions given under the help button in the program translation tool.

You will probably be better served by re-writing the program instead of converting it. A rewrite allows you to take advantage of the features of the ControlLogix platform. A program conversion just gives you a fancy SLC.

You will probably be better served by re-writing the program instead of converting it. A rewrite allows you to take advantage of the features of the ControlLogix platform. A program conversion just gives you a fancy SLC.

Agreed! The converted programs usually end up being more of a mess than the original. Not to mention having to take care of all of the issues that don't quite convert properly.

I like the idea of the translation tool.
The fact that it is a rung to rung translation makes the commissioning easier cause you don't have to re-test complex sequences that were working before...
Basically, you just need to take care of Timers, MSG (andBTR/BTW), I/O Mapping, and other special instructions.
Some PLC Programs are harder to translate with the tool but often, it is quite straight forward...

I did many PLC-5 to ControlLogix conversion with the translation tool provided by Rockwell and it's doing 90-95% of the job.

I'm in the process of doing a SLC to CLogix conversion and it is not that obvious.
I'm stuck at the RSlogix500 Documentation Export limited to AB APS format which has 10 characters per line limitation... However, in RSLogix500, we can use 20 car per line.
So all symbols and comments longer than 10 car get troncated which represent 85% of the documentation...

I really Wonder why Rockwell is not using the Native RSLogix500 Documentation?