Cooling tower fan PID control

vernon1

Hi all, I have to pick up somebody else's messed up application. They have a cooling tower fan on an inverter, controlled by plc analogue output.Two temp sensors connected to PLC analogue inputs, one measuring water temp in cooling tower sump and the other just measuring ambient air temp. They want to utilise "both" temp signals in a PID to drive cooling tower sump water temp down to 20 deg C. The PLC is AB Control logix 1756-L5555.

Has anybody come across a similar application before, with examples you could possibly share.

Kind regards.

Trying to visualize this here sounds to me that by using the ambient air temperature they maintain the cooling water temperature. Is there another means of cooling other than the ambient air? So I would assume as much as I hate that word they are using the ambient air senser to speed up and slow down the cooling fan. This would be controlled by the amount of water cooling needed hence the other PID. Sounds similar to a cascade loop system or a feed forward. This is actually an interesting process model. I'm gonna have to think about this for a bit.

Last edited:
We can probably simplify this a bit the water temperature using P only provides the PV for the second PI to control the fan speed. I don't beleive you will require derivitaves in either situation.

Hi Mordred, thanks for your response. You are correct, they are just using ambient outside air temp for cooling process. The software is not complete yet, but they just want one PID loop.

Regards.

Last edited:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=52346&highlight=cooling+fans

very similar to this application. Essentially the water temperature is used to establish desired temperature you will need to get the ambient air temperature at. This becomes your set point. The second temperature provides the amount of change you will need. For this application you should only need a PI control. The thread I posted above describes a similar process except he is controlling multiple cooling fans but the principal is the same

šŸ™ƒ You know I never even thought of that on Peter hopefully the ambient air has a chiller unit nearby. I guess this points out an earlier discussion in understanding the process model.

Well, your right about the messed up application part.

Air temperature is completely useless to determine to what point you can cool your water.

What you need to know is the wet bulb temperature. Wet bulb temperature is the lowest temperature to which you can cool water by evaporation and it is a function of temperature, relative humidity and barometric pressure. Its a complex calculation and although a hand held psychrometer is a simple instrument, psychrometric transmitters are complex and expensive.

While knowing the wet bulb temperatures is necessary for sizing a cooling tower, you don't need to measure it to control the tower water temperature. You don't even need a psychrometer. You can determine what the highest wet bulb temperatures for your location are with an internet search or by checking with the local weather bureau. It is futile to attempt to control below the wet bulb unless you have some secret way around the laws of physics (and if you do I want to talk with you about a money making opportunity šŸ““). So you size your tower to give you the necessary performance at the highest wet bulb temperature and control to that point.

In practical applications a cooling tower has an approximately 7 degree approach to the wet bulb temperature. Under certain ideal conditions a tower can do better. We are fortunate here to have just such a climate but we still use a 7 degree approach rule of thumb. Find the highest wet bulb temperature for your area and add 7F (4C) to that. For example, here in Salt Lake City where its high, dry, and cool, the highest wet bulb temperature on record in the last 40 years is 65F (18C). A typical annual high is 64F and it occurs in August. Using a 7 degree approach the tower system is sized for 72F (22C). We may see wet bulb temperatures approaching 32F (0C) in the winter but that is irrelevant, the system has to perform year round - we save a little energy in the winter but that is all. I suspect that for you in the UK things won't be so optimal. It is probably impossible for you to achieve 20C with a cooling tower during the warmer humid months, even here where conditions are nearly as good as it gets for towers, 20C year round is a stretch. All that means is that you determine your realistic control point for where you are and design the rest of the system around that.

You could use a PID loop to control your tower fan using only the water temperature. Make sure you include freeze protection to shut the fan down if the water temperature drops below 15C and shut down the tower feed pump if it drops below 10C so that you don't form ice in the tower in the winter. Cooling tower control however isn't rocket science and many towers use a staged system rather than PID - ie, there might be three for four fan speeds set in the drive and those speeds are selected by temperature from setpoint with minimum stage timers. This is probably the most common approach.

Last edited:
drive cooling tower sump water temp down to 20 deg C.
Kind regards.

It appears to me that your only criteria is water cooled to 20C. Based on what you wrote you could even throw out the ambient probe - ambient defined in my mind as outdoor temperature.

I think you need to define your control criteria better. 20C is about room temperature ie 65F. If your machinery room or office is warmer than this you may be OK. As room air heat content rises you need either more cooling water or cooler water to remove heat thus the temperature.

I also think a second reading of what Alaric says about cooling towers would be a good invenstment of time.

Dan Bentler

Last edited: