COSMO AIR LEAK TESTER TO AB CompactLogix, Ethernet IP

ChuckyD

Has anyone worked with a Cosmo Air Leak Tester(LS r-902) with Ethernet/Ip, to connect to A Compact Logix, I´m doing a proyect with this equipment, but in the cosmo page they do not have the EDS, I try to use as Generic Ip device, with the ethernet I/O map (the cosmo technical support provides me this information, but they didn´t have the EDS), but when i try to use as generic device, sends me a Input or Output Fault

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

I don't have direct experience with that device, but I've done troubleshooting with lots of third-party EtherNet/IP equipment.

The first thing I would do is find out if TCP Port 44818 is open on the device. From a Windows computer you can do that with PowerShell using the Test-NetConnection (tnc) command:

Test-NetConnection 192.168.1.100 -Port 44818

Where the IP address is your leak tester, of course.

Does the device show up in an RSLinx Classic browse with the Ethernet or EtherNet/IP driver? It will be a gray box or yellow question mark, since there's no EDS, but showing up in a browse is another way to find out if the EtherNet/IP stack is running because answering the "List Identity" command is a mandatory compliance feature.

Please post the exact Assembly, Data Type, and Size you are using in the generic EtherNet/IP object configuration and the exact error code that appears in Studio 5000 when it cannot connect.

Last edited:
@ken roach: fault: CODE 16#0128 invalid input size, the data type and size, cosmo give me a documentation today, I have the input and output size, but i still dont have the assembly instance data, this is the size:
vjhQ8y0
and
MD0wJF9
, i tried using the default assembly instance data of the gateway (input 100, output 150), cause the equipment have a compactcom 40 from HMS, but when I ask to HMS, they say me I have to use the data of the developer, cause maybe they modify the program to his requierments, theres a way to now the instance?

That error code means that the CompactLogix is connecting to the Cosmo device correctly, and the fact that it's an HMS daughtercard means that the implementation of the EtherNet/IP protocol is good.

But HMS is correct that the device in which the CompactCom is installed will determine which objects and assemblies and sizes are appropriate.

When you create the Generic Ethernet Module object, you need to designate the Comm Format for SINT, DINT, INT, or REAL.

That affects the Size value in the configuration window, and it should remind you in parentheses, such as (32-bit) when set for DINT. So be sure that if they tell you the number of bytes, you divide by 2 for INT and 4 for DINT.

Hello:

The ODVA website has some registered EDS files from Cosmo. The part number is different, but you may try to see if the assemblies are the same.
https://marketplace.odva.org/organizations/1025-cosmo-instruments-co-ltd

Another option is to download the ODVA/Molex EtherNet/IP tools software.
You can try using the "Explicit Message" tab for Class ID 4 (Assembly), instance whatever that application is using and Attribute 3 (Data). The response shows the byte size of the assembly, so you can try this number in your Logix project.

Finally, if you do not get this to work, I know this company and I can try to get from them an EDS file or a sample Logix program.

HMS cannot help you because HSM does not know how Cosmo is configuring the HMS module.

Last edited: