Creating Alias Tags

OZEE said:
From a spreadsheet for a CLX project I did:

Code:
="ALIAS,,"&A11&","&V11&",,"&G11

This is NOT VBA!!! This is purely excel functions (and truth be known, this isn't even in excel. I'm using OpenOffice Calc for my spreadsheet. But this exact spreadsheet was developed in Excel.) Period. This code lives in the cell itself (in this example of my spreadsheet, cell Y11), not back behind the spreadsheet in the VBA macro stuff (I don't do VBA either...)

In this example:
You have to have all of those commas in those exact places. A csv is "flat spreadsheet", with the columns separated by commas. The end result for this to work requires that the various fields of the import-file be exactly how RSL5K expects it. If you have too many or too few commas (read this to mean: if you have the right info in the wrong fields!), the import will fail.

Cell A11 contains the base tagname (the name of the device). In this case it's "M7102_AUX" This tagname is elsewhere defined to point to Local:3:I.DATA.3. (This is the aux contact on motor starter for motor M7102)

Cell V11 contains the tag description (In this case "M7102 Leg Aux Contact"

Cell G11 contains "Local:3:I.DATA.3", the hardware IO address for that point.

Obviously (?) there are lots and lots of other cells in this spreadsheet (I didn't randomly pick columns A, G, and V.)

The result of that function (again NOT VBA!) is the following:

Code:
ALIAS,,M7102_AUX,M7102 Leg Aux Contact ,,Local:3:I.DATA.3

When you export your database like you've been instructed several times already (you have already done that, haven't you??), you will notice that there is some header information in the resulting csv file. THAT HEADER INFORMATION MUST REMAIN AS-IS! DO NOT CHANGE IT.

You can delete all of the lines below the header info (all of your previously defined tags) and past this line in below the header info, then import it back into RSL5k. Then your newly defined alias will appear.

Since I enter all of my tag info into a spreadsheet, I generate all of this info for every single tag in my whole project. When everything is entered properly, I will have all of my aliases created automatically. Then I can remake my csv file with the new information -- which literally takes only seconds! -- and import thousands of tag and alias definitions in very short time.

Does this help????

If not, try it and let us know what problems you have...

So basically you want me to export the existing tag database from rslogix5k into csv format and then delete all the tags (except the first 5 0r 6 lines). The following code that you mentioned:

Code:
="ALIAS,,"&A11&","&V11&",,"&G11

which cell you want me to put it?

and then the following code

Code:
ALIAS,,M7102_AUX,M7102 Leg Aux Contact ,,Local:3:I.DATA.3

Is the above one the result of the above mentioned code?

This method is more like creating the tags in CSV file and then import them back. But can we actually create the tags with the point descriptions (like a point description from P&ID)?

Regards

You don't have my spreadsheet, so it doesn't matter where you put it. You asked for an example. In my spreadsheet, it's in Y11. But it can be anywhere...

The first box you quoted is the formula in that cell. The second box you quoted is the visible results of that formula. They're the same cell. I'm just concatenating strings to make one big string of the format that I want...

This method is more like creating the tags in CSV file and then import them back. But can we actually create the tags with the point descriptions (like a point description from P&ID)?

This method is EXACTLY creating tags in CSV file then importing them back. That's how I've described it all along -- no surprise there...

Can you create these descriptions with the point descriptions (I assume you mean can you create these descriptions for the I/O point itself???) Yes, it's just getting the right info in the right CSV fields.

However, I would ~never~ program with the I/O point addresses... too messy. That's why they gave us aliases.