Creating Alias Tags

Ones_Zeros

Hello
I was needing to create an alias tag (DINT) in the Controller tags folder
for some I|O tags that’s located in the Program tags folder.

The tags are assigned to a physical input and are located in different Program tag folders.

So to make sure I do this correctly I thought all I had to do was create a DINT
in the Controller tags folder and Alias the Program tags back to the DINT. I can’t seem to get this working.

When I go into the tag properties of tag_1 in the program folder
and change it to alias and point it to DINT_1 tag in the Controller tags. It changes the “base tag” properties to the alias as well. I still need to make sure that tag_1 is referenced to the physical input.1

I do appreciate the help with creating alias tags from Program folder to Controller folder so that these tags can be used globally.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that you are not allowed to create a controller tag that aliases a program tag, although you can do the opposite and create a program scoped tag that alias a controller scoped tag.

I think that you could also move program tags from the program tag database to the controller tag database using cut and paste. If you did that, you'd need to make sure that the program scoped tags you changed were not being accessed by an HMI, because the item name for the tag would be changed by moving it to the controller tag database.

Hello
The tags are assigned to a physical input and are located in different Program tag folders.

So to make sure I do this correctly I thought all I had to do was create a DINT
in the Controller tags folder and Alias the Program tags back to the DINT.

When you create a new alias tag in the controller tag database, rather than pointing it to the program tag database tag, point it to the physical IO tag in the controller database.