Crimson 3 Emulator

OkiePC is correct, the emulator is still only 64 bit. We have heard of users running the software in a VMWare environment for the emulator but the software is only officially supported on a native OS

I have also been battling with this. I have used the Crimson G306 emulator successfully with Oracle Virtual Box on my own Win7-64 PC, but not with XP mode on the new Win7-64 training PCs I am trying to set up. Can anyone suggest another HMI emulator? I think it's time to give up.

The newest version of the Crimson 3.0 emulator gives me a lot more trouble than older versions. I find myself going through a series of errors each time I use the emulator. The editor and the emulator still work even in my XP Mode, I just have to get past the errors first. With builds prior to support for the K2, I did not see these emulator quirks nearly as frequently. So, when I hit the "Update" icon while emulation is enabled, if I don't see a message that says "opening transport layer", I abort and retry until I do see that message, then it seems to run fine. If the emulator is running, I stop it first (give it focus then ESC). In most cases, one an error occurs and the emulator is running, you will never get past the error.

I can run it in XPMode using a windows XP SP3 OS on my windows 7 64 bit desktop.

The only other trouble I have is when it comes time to try to "talk" to a real PLC with the emulator in the VM, through the host to our PLC network. For that, I think I would need VMWare or another virtualization environment with more bels and whistles.

We still have 3 laptops with Windows XP and if I really need to use the emulator with a real machine, I fire up one of them.

What specific issues are you seeing with your XP Mode machine?

Last edited:
From XP mode VM I can ping the PLC and the RedLion emulator. I can access the PLC's internal web page. But I cannot get the emulator to talk to the PLC (Emulator is Modbus/TCP master)

I do the same thing in another PC inside an Oracle VM and it works.

I have tried both build 227 and latest build. Both work in Oracle VM and do not work in XPMode VM.

I have also tried to reconfigure the XPMode VM to bridge directly to the network card. Same result - I can ping everything but cannot talk.

I have disabled firewalls and turned off wireless.

Since I've been using Crismson emulator I've always seen the "transport layer" message. And yes, sometimes the emulator crashes, but works when you restart it.

One concern is that Crimson seems to remember the emulator settings even after uninstall/reinstall. I think maybe it is stuck on an old setting when I switch to bridge network.

I think what you are seeing has more to do with Microsoft magic in XPMode than anything Red Lion is doing. Like me, you can run it but not communicate through the host. I had the same issues with RSLinx until I added a 2nd virtual LAN adapter to the XP Mode settings. I have Adapter 1 set for Shared Networking (NAT) and Adapter 2 set to my actual PC hardware (listed for me). This seems to have fixed my problems with RSLinx, but not the crimson emulator. You might try that with your XPMode to see if it helps you.

If if works with Oracle VM, why not use that, or try VMWare?

Any news?

Hi,

I am running Crimson 3.0 and its emulator on Windows 7 64-bit, but it is a pain. Many many times it stops working, or I have to go through several attempts before it downloads the application to the Emulator. Sometimes I have to stop the g3sim process in Windows Task Manager.

Sometimes it starts downloading and then it freezes at "Stopping runtime software". The Emulator is up and running but just displaying "UPDATING DATABASE". Escape, Abort and try again...

Another message is "Emulator Executable has stopped working". And then underneath "ERROR - Timeout waiting for reply frame".

Has anybody found a solution to this?

Thank you

If it's any help I'm running Crimson 3 on Windows 8 64-bit without any problems with the software or emulator. (So far *knock on wood*)

Thank you, quietk, that's kind of relief. It probably means that the problem lies in my particular system, and not with Crimson. And not to invoke disaster, but did it run fine "out of the box"? Or did you have to install/modify something?

Hmmm seems that the emulator does not like it when the driver is set to "Allen-Bradley Native Tags via L5K file Enhanced"
So whats the advantage of of "L5K enhanced" over the "L5K"

Emulator issues

The Crimson 3 ver 647.002 Emulator is still not working in 64bit Win 7. It's been 3 years now from the looks of it.. Frustrating!