Current Loop to Ethernet Converter

Longhorn

Hi all,
I have been allocated a project whereby 6 flow transmitters which are all 4-20 mA current loop are to be historically trended in Intouch. The Flow Meters are quite remote but there is already an ethernet cable ran to that vicinity. I need to convert 4-20mA into ethernet then plumb them into a switcher and im off, intouch part should be a doddle.
Was wondering if there is a known method for converting this or should something like this do the trick??:-

www.jmcanty.com/Products/Vector/TA9688-1.pdf

Many Thanks and merry xmas to all at PLC Talk!

LH

There are many devices to do this. As far as the Canty, you need to figure out what protocols it is capable of communicating over Ethernet

As TW said, many companies offer remote or field I/O devices, for example AutomationDirect.com and Allen Bradley. Note that all Ethernet devices don't talk to each other. You need to determine the protocol your Intouch is using and match it. For example Allen Bradley's TCP/IP won't talk to Modbus TCP, event though the Ethernet link is electrically compatible.

Hi all,
I have been allocated a project whereby 6 flow transmitters which are all 4-20 mA current loop are to be historically trended in Intouch. The Flow Meters are quite remote but there is already an ethernet cable ran to that vicinity. I need to convert 4-20mA into ethernet then plumb them into a switcher and im off, intouch part should be a doddle.
Was wondering if there is a known method for converting this or should something like this do the trick??:-

www.jmcanty.com/Products/Vector/TA9688-1.pdf

Many Thanks and merry xmas to all at PLC Talk!

LH

Heres an option for you. Try putting a small PLC in the field to bring in the 4-20ma inputs over Ethernet. You will need a CPU with Ethernet and two 4 channel analog input modules and an OPC server to talk to Intouch. I can send you a list of parts if you are interested that will work for you.

many thanks all for your replies, after further discussions with people onsite, looks like this mod might grow into a site wide thing incorporating our chiller plant and many other things, so i am going to go down the PLC route rather than use seperate remote i modules.

Thanks everyone for your help...appreciated!🍻

You might also check out Opto22, they have a whole range of I/O that uses ethernet. Their modules are small and cheap, typically 2 & 4 input so you wouldn't have to buy any mor I/O than you need.
Roy

Are the transmitters HART compliant? If so, there is a new wireless HART standard. Many vendors are selling retro-fit units that will transmit the HART data via wireless to a central collection point. As of now they are not recommending it for control, but you are only monitoring and historizing, might be worth checking into.