Cutler Hammer PanelMate 1700 (Watchdog & Rack Fault)

rockhunt

I am new to PLCS.net so hello to all exsisting members.

I am mostly a hardware repair engineer, I am certainly not a programmer, so I hope that I can learn something and return the favor sometime.

My first question is about Cutler Hammer PanelMate 1700's.

I consistently receive PM1700's with a fault report of 'Watchdog Timeout'. I have been able to resolve some of these defects by replacing the RTC battery and/or reloading the executive f/w.

Does anyone know of any other resolutions to this defect, particularily if it is an intermittant problem.

Regards, Rock

Pm 1700

Hi Rock,

This might be very basic, but have you checked throughly the channel that your PM is hooked to.

Worth checking for your blue & clear wires(don't rely on the plug numbering 1,2 clr)go & do a physical check.

Hagos

Hi Hagos,

The watchdog fault occurs in offline or run mode. It is not a cabling defect. There is nothing that I can do do reproduce the fault on purpose, It is completely random. The only information I can find regarding watchdog timeout on PM's is that it could be power related, or another hardware issue. The user manual is very vague about this problem.

Any other ideas?

Just my anecdotal 2 cents...

My former employer used lots of Panelmates Power Series 120v, and 24v, and Power Pro from 1500 through 5000 models.

I was responsible for a few dozen 1500 and 3000 series both 120vac Power Series, and newer 24VDC power pros.

In the tire factory, we had several watchdog failures and graphics problems that were resolved by adding a conformal coating to the part number for our replacement units.

According to an in plant expert, the sulphur and other chemical content of the air in the plant was corroding only the silver traces and socket connectors between the components.

They were great HMIs. They never lied about the contents of a PLC address and the programming software is fantastic and flexible. I wish my new company would allow a switch to PanelMates over the PV+ line...but that is another thread...

I rarely disassembled the units other than to swap keypads, comms cards so i don't know much about the board level details.

Just my anecdotal 2 cents...