Data logging from HMI into CF card

Nkiritsis

Dear All

I have the following setup
1. Schneider Electric PLC TWDLCAE40DRF programmed in TWIDo
2. Schneider Electric Magelis XBTGT 2330 screen on which i use to represent my process and view my results. I used vijeo designer for this

I can see the results on MAGELIS and i can even make graphic charts while my process is running. This means most probably that my data is stored somewhere in the MAGELIS memory.

I must store all this data logging on a cf card and later on to convert to file able to open on any PC (but not to be able to modify the file on the PC)

My problem is that when i try to store to the CF card (schneider MPCVNooCF 400N...4gb) i get the following message.

'VARIABLES ARE BEING LOOGED TO THE STORAGE VOLUME , WHICH IS NOW UNAVAILABLE OR FULL.-DATA LOGGING'

I did follow all the isntructions described in vijeo help, i did format the cf card to FAT32 format and insert it again on the screen. Which means that the card is for sure formated correctly and is completelly empty.

Still the message is the same
'VARIABLES ARE BEING LOOGED TO THE STORAGE VOLUME , WHICH IS NOW UNAVAILABLE OR FULL.-DATA LOGGING'

Trying to find out what goes wrong i have tried also the vijeo data manager. There you can select option of exporting either to secondary drive (cf card) or to main drive.
I tried both options and got 'CANNOT ESTABLISH CONNECTION' message.

Any ideas? i am stack

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

Make sure your data location has been set to "Secondary drive" if you are using CF card instead of "Optional drive" (which is for USB typically) , it will give you the error if the data location is wrong. Also, make sure your CF card is plugged in properly. If the HMI can't see it , then also the error will pop up.

Dear Engineer MG

Thank you for your reply. I did set the data location to SECONDARY DRIVE and after all i did manage to export datalogging files to my cf card. In fact in the cf card i have folder for all the variables i want to record. In each folder i have a .dat file. When i open this file with notepad i see only strange symbols...meaning i cannot actually read what is stored. I tried to use the vijeo data manager so to retrive the data and be able to read in different file format. The message was still
'CANNOT ESTABLISH CONNECTION'

It is the first time i am trying to program an HMI and datalogging so i am moving through very dark paths. Please excuse any posibly silly questions

Thanks

OK I was talking about this error "
'VARIABLES ARE BEING LOOGED TO THE STORAGE VOLUME , WHICH IS NOW UNAVAILABLE OR FULL.-DATA LOGGING "

Anyway, the .dat file is non readable so has to be converted into a readable format (.csv) via VJD data manager . So , you are having problems retrieving files ?

Last edited:
In fact i am storing files in the CF card but i cannot determine if i am logging correctly because i cannot read the files....that is the reason that i am trying to retrive the data with VJD data manager...but no success...any idea?

Thanks for your time!!

Store the files on your local PC . Then you don't need to retrieve directly from the HMI.You can just convert the files.
You can access the files from the webserver too if you have enabled the webserver under maintenance .

After storing on Local PC ->
Select Media as -> Local files . Select -> Convert Recipe or Data Logging files . Point the Input folder to your stored .dat file on your local PC. Point the output folder to wherever you want the output . Then hit convert.

You can't read the files using any editor , it's non readable. Hence, it has to be converted using the VJD data manager.

The retrieve option tries to establish connection via Ethernet, USB , Ethernet NAT -> so if either of those are not able to connect to the target then that's when you get the error. I will have to simulate your error . Will keep you posted on that. But try the option above.

Thanks ..i will try your suggestion and let you know...but most probably i will reply on monday.
The reason that i need datalogging on the CF card is because i need to keep record of the operation of my machine for 2years for an authority to be able to verify the machine's correct operation. The authority will not have for sure VJD or the VDJ data manager... I just need a file readable form simple editors for the authority to be able to check and verify
Is this not possible though the HMI and its data logging options?
Also in real operation of the machine i will not have a local PC necx t to the machine to store to? There will be only the machine, the plc and the HMI. The authority should just connect a ethernet or usb cable and get the data logging files to check

ThanKs again...i do get more support from you on the other side of the antlanic ocean than the local Schneider branch

Well, to read data off a CF card you would need a CF card reader , ultimately opening the files on the PC via the reader . To connect to the HMI via USB , the other end of the cable is going via a PC , same for ethernet . So, I don't understand how they are looking at data without access to a PC.

Unless , you have an iPC (Windows based HMI) where you can store the files directly on the Main drive .

Data logging files are always in .dat format. You can get adventurous and use an event group where the files are stored in .csv format . Setup your variables via event group instead of data logging.

But still with a standard HMI , your files are logged on either USB or CF. Either case you need a PC to open up the files stored on those mediums , whether .dat (needs to be converted) or .csv (event group).

The authority will have a PC but
1. I would not like them to open my HMI take off the card and when they are finished to put it back again
2. They will not have VJD data manager so to be able to convert to readable format.

I will check also your suggestion about event groups and will get back with more solid replies on MONDAY.

STILL ThaNK YOU VERY MCU FOR YOUR TIME

Here's the solution for your "Retrieve" . Go to VJD -> "Security" and apply a setting either "anonymous" or "use security" for "Data manager security". Then you should be able to retrieve via USB or Ethernet.

Good afternoon,

I have a similar problem in Vijeo Designer:

1. I need to write the data on some variables only when generate a pulse through a button.
2. Export the file to a txt or csv format via penderive when pressing another button.