Datalink DH+ to Ethernet bridge review

jimfun71

As we move forward it is becoming increasingly clear that the SLC/PLC family is on its way out. More and more OEM’s are unwilling to provide machinery based on that format, as was the case with our latest production line upgrade. We purchased an Italian made labeling machine that was available in AB Compact or SIEMENS S7. That’s fine and dandy but I’ve got a gaggle of SLC5/04 based production lines. There are several makers of network bridges out there but I decided to go with the Datalink unit as it was recommended by my AB rep. The product sheet is here http://www.entrix.co.uk/connect/data/Datasheet_GW1000-ABEIP.pdf?PHPSESSID=f39452a75b853c66d8bdaaad1bbcb5d0
This is my review of there product.

Cost: * *
Around $1500 USD A little salty for my taste.

Ease of install: * * * * *
Nice clean design, DIN rail mount.

Setup: * * * *
Nice, simple, web interface.

Flexibility: * * * * *
Offers a multitude of ports and configurations.

Documentation: * * * * *
Very well written clear how tos.

Support: * *
If you can get to a tech, the level ones can read the documentation that came with the device back to you. Good luck getting to a level two tech.

Communication reliability: * * *
For the most part it’s pretty stable but every now and then there’s a big 10 second gap even though the TX/RX lights are going crazy. It’s good enough for production data and line integration but I wouldn’t trust it for critical data like a machine backup stop.

Personal observations:
Make sure your DH+ is perfect! I thought mine was but the Datalink sure didn’t. I had to go through every connection in my existing DH+ network before the device would work.
This device slammed my DH+ network. I used to be able to load a 32K processor in about 10 seconds now it takes around 180. I am only running 4 MSG statements from my Compact, 2 read, 2 write, and there only once a second.
Any questions fell free to PM me.

This device slammed my DH+ network. I used to be able to load a 32K processor in about 10 seconds now it takes around 180. I am only running 4 MSG statements from my Compact, 2 read, 2 write, and there only once a second.
That does not sound OK.
Can you check the diagnostics in RSLinx when you are online - with and without downloading.
Are you online via the Datalink, or via some other DH+ hardware ?
When you are downloading, do you close all other open windows in RSLogix ?

NB. I dont have experience with Datalink myself.

I think of one thing, and that is that I suspect that the Datalink is a "KF2" with a ethernet-serial converter tacked on somewhere inside. Maybe I am wrong. But if I am right, then the performance will be limited by this serial link in the pipeline.

Their support will not tell you that this bridge can work with the Wonderware DASABCIP(4.1) I/O driver, but I can verify (happily!) that it does. Just set it up the same way you would a Contrologix Gateway and limit your CIP connections to 1-4 and it just works. Very handy as newer computers are a pain (or impossible) to get the PKTX up and running on and we have plenty of 5/04s and DH+ over fiber networks out there. Cheaper than a CLX gateway as well.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but hopefully this may save someone a headache or two. If anyone else happens to know of a work-around please let me know.

I've been using the GW1000-ABEIP Gateway/Bridge Modules for about 2 years now at our facility. I have at present 5 of them in operation and for the most part I agree with the OP, they are acceptable for data collection but I wouldn't trust them for critical application control scenarios.

Setup was easy and they have been problem free for the most part since installation... Until now.

I have 15 HMI PC's running FactoryTalk View 5.10 with a mix of 5/05 and 5/04 CPU's. As you know in April MS discontinued support for WINXP. As part of the upgrade to WIN7 I was required to upgrade FTView and RSLinx and RSLogix to new versions that were compatible with WIN7.

Version of RSLinx 3.60 will not support the GW1000-ABEIP Module. It is completely incompatible with the configuration method required by the module. RSLinx Enterprise 5.60.00 (Standard with FTView 7.00) also will not support the configuration method required.

In hopes of a workaround I downgraded RSLinx Classic to 2.57 (Which is compatible with WIN7 and with the GW1000). This required me to remove the RSLinx Enterprise OPC server from my FTView Application and install the RSLinx Classic OPC Server in it's place. This worked in the past with the older version of FTView and Linx, however with version 7.00 of FTView, if you use RSLinx Classic OPC you can only have one active connection.

I have requested assistance from Datalink Technologies, hopefully they have addressed the issue with updated firmware, but DO NOT depend on this product as a solution if you are running the latest versions of Rockwell Software. It will not work!