Datalogger

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all!

I am looking for a datalogger, that can store a bunch of values with 1s and 10s intervals.

This will be fitted on a cruise boat, not sure if we will have internet available to retrieve data. So it should be something that works fairly simple, and reliable. Perhaps with the possibility to retrieve the data by FTP or an SD card or something.

I think we will have an S7-1200 or 1500 PLC from where the data should be logged.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks all!

I would reach for the Red Lion DataStation Plus.

They can talk to virtually any logic controller, have a robust data logging system, and it's easy to retrieve the data via FTP. Bonus that you can hit the device with a Web browser and look at the current data, with no special software.

I would get the DSPSX001 model. You want the "SX" for data logging (the LE model only supports the protocol conversion functions), and you want the 001 for the extended temperature hardware for use onboard. But I don't think you need the GT model's improved virtual video or the ZR's high performance.

Consider the ZR if you think you'll need to use a USB stick to transfer data on and off the device without rebooting.

Thank you very much!

Do you have an idea about the cost of said units, roughly? I see they list for about $1100, but most companies I deal with don't really use list prices :).

1200 and 1500 both have data logging functions built in, where it logs to the SD card (csv file, I think). You can either download the files via the web page while it is running, or power it off and remove the SD card.

Hi MK!

PLaying around with the 1200 right now. Seems to work fairly well. Using this example.

Just some small weird things (for now). Can't seem to expand the number of values logged. And can't delete the existing datalogs through the web interface.