Dataman Scanners over NATR

travisroberts88

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone every attempted to run a Dataman Scanner through a 1783-NATR to take a local network to your enterprise network? I have the NAT Translation table done and I can ping the IP Address from my network, however, when I go to add it in Setup tool it will not show as connected. Wondering if there is something I am missing or if this just isn't possible to do.

Is this the 1783-NATR device?

If this is the case, you have to find out if the ports are blocked, and add them to the unblocked list in the NATR. You can find out which ports are blocked via potentially looking at the manual, or running wireshark on the server side.

Is this the 1783-NATR device?

If this is the case, you have to find out if the ports are blocked, and add them to the unblocked list in the NATR. You can find out which ports are blocked via potentially looking at the manual, or running wireshark on the server side.

Yes this the the 1783-NATR. I've had no issues with devices in the past. I am almost suspecting that I need to have the MAC Addresses whitelisted from my IT group. I thought it wouldn't matter as it was going through the NATR as long as the NATR was whitelisted. My suspicion is that either the Public Port and Private Port MAC Addresses both need whitelisted and not just one or the other. I don't believe the MAC Addresses for the scanners need to be whitelisted, but I could be wrong.

Does your plant network have an ACL? If so, yeah you might need it to be whitelisted.

In my experience, Ping would not have worked if it was the MAC. My first step would be to

-plug into the public port of the NAT, change your laptop's IP address to be in the same subnet, and try to ping the local device's translated IP address.
-Try connecting your Dataman configuration manager to the device.

If you can do these things, it's your plant network switch settings. If you can't, then it's a NAT issue.

Does your plant network have an ACL? If so, yeah you might need it to be whitelisted.

In my experience, Ping would not have worked if it was the MAC. My first step would be to

-plug into the public port of the NAT, change your laptop's IP address to be in the same subnet, and try to ping the local device's translated IP address.

If you can do these things, it's your plant network switch settings. If you can't, then it's a NAT issue.

Yeah our network has ACL because of the industry we are there are pretty strict network security settings in place.

I'll connect locally rather than just being on the plant network to the NATR to try your ideas and go from there! Thanks for the help its greatly appreciated!!! Will report back soon.

Ensured both the MAC Addresses were whitelisted of the NATR.
Plugged into the Public Port of the NATR, changed my IP, was able to ping the devices, but not able to open them.

Attaching my settings I am using:

2023-04-05_9-50-43.jpg 2023-04-05_9-50-57.jpg 2023-04-05_9-54-38.jpg 2023-04-05_9-54-51.jpg 2023-04-05_9-55-24.jpg

either :

change NAT table to 10.16.28.161==> 192.168.30.70

or change IP address of scanner from 70 to 156.

either :

change NAT table to 10.16.28.161==> 192.168.30.70

or change IP address of scanner from 70 to 156.

There are two translations in the table so far, only one showed in the screenshot

10.16.28.161 is the translation for a scanner at 192.168.30.156
and 10.16.28.162 is the translation for 192.168.30.70

Two Scanners, 2 translations

I see.

What about the gateway 30.1? is it real and exist?
What Dataman version?

Also check you inbound & outbound rules, check for port 44818 and Insight Explorer.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing any issues with the NATR or Dataman setup in these screenshots. One thing I have found the the NATR is sometimes you have to cycle power (or maybe system reboot) for certain changes to take effect. Maybe something to try if you are out of ideas.

Make sure in your Dataman setup that you have selected the right protocol. It's a checkbox in Setup tool. You can set an IP, and ping it all day, but it won't communicate with anything unless you have that selected.

Using Setup Tool 6.2.3. Industrial Protocol EtherNet/IP is what is enabled at the moment But does not show what it is connected to like one of my Scanners that is on my enterprise network already.

Could it be related to the local network adapter of the PLC also needing routed through the NATR?

I don't believe it is related to the PLC as I can also add the translated NAT IP into RSLinx for a sanity check and I am able to see it there with it's translated IP and Local IP for the NAT