DC Current Control

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has some advice/options for me to consider.

I need to control DC Voltage/Current to a device.

The device can accept 20 to 300 VDC and 1 to 5 amps.

I need to be able to control and monitor the Voltage and Current with Compact Logix PLC, so 4-20 is okay, would be nice to have Ethernet/IP, but I know this is a big ask.

Ideally I would give the power supply a current command to run at, and it would increase the voltage to obtain the current, or until it maxed out at 300 VDC.

I am currently using a regulated power supply with a current command, but it only has 0-10VDC signals, and I would like to see if there are any better options out there.

Best to all!

Paul

Try Control Concepts.
ccipower.com

If they do not have, they can custom make. I had some DC controls made by them to control 0-5A and it worked within .01A!
I buy all my SCRs from them, great company and even better support.

Try Control Concepts.
ccipower.com

If they do not have, they can custom make. I had some DC controls made by them to control 0-5A and it worked within .01A!
I buy all my SCRs from them, great company and even better support.

Thank you, I will look into Control Concepts.

Much appreciated!

Let me see if I understand correctly

You need a power supply with regulable voltage and current and that has to be done in the program?

I usually use keysisht power supplies but I also use a PC, there are some with TCP sockets communication, you can regulate both voltage and current and measure as well

Thank you for all the suggestions.

This power supply would be mounted in a panel, so I would like to avoid Bench Top Power Supplies as this would be mounted to a backplate in a control panel.

Currently I am using the Acopian, and they are great, just looking for better controls than 0-10V.

The application is an E-Cell Electrodeionization (EDI). MK-3 Pharma

Wouldn't they provide an interface device themselves? I find it strange to provide an instrument and leave the customer to create and install 300Volt, in DC no less, to the device.

Also, would the device really need 300VDC or does it accept up to 300VDC, but actually operates on current?

Wouldn't they provide an interface device themselves? I find it strange to provide an instrument and leave the customer to create and install 300Volt, in DC no less, to the device.

I also find it strange, but they do not, not that I am aware of.

Also, would the device really need 300VDC or does it accept up to 300VDC, but actually operates on current?

It doesn't need 300VDC, but that is the maximum.

Yes, setpoint is in amps DC. Usually they run fine at 1-2 amps, but 5.2 is the max.