Deleted ACD project from folder

remullis

I accidentally deleted an ACD project file from a folder and cant pull up program. Can I upload via network by calling out the processor? Or will I have to go down to the rack and upload a backup there? Our integrator has back copies but is out of pocket.

I done this cleaning up bak files.

I am remoting into this computer and I did not see it there, I cleaned up quite a bit of bak files and none were in the trash bin. I did not go down to the computer itself in our control room though, not sure if I have to be logged into the physical computer to see trash bin items.

Ok, yes I thought that would be the easiest way to go about it. One quick question though? I found a folder with old plc's backed up in 2012. My particular project name is P993_centrifuge.acd, which is the same as the one that was deleted. If I open that file in logix and go online , it should give me the option to upload/download, right? If I upload the lastest logic to overwrite the 2012 file, I should be ok, right?

The issue you have is that if you just upload then you will not have the comments/names... I THINK (STRESS THINK) that you can open the program and connect to the CPU, you will be prompted that they are different and "should you use the disk or CPU" I THINK you can use the CPU file and have your comments, I would either wait for some one like Bernie to chime in or make a copy of the program on your PC and give it a try, if it blanks out your copy you can just use the other one with the comments and try something else but make sure you make a copy of the 2012 first

I have firmware mismatches so I think I'll wait until I can get the right file, thanks for the help

Try just uploading the file then you can see if you can work with an off line copy, if yes then you maybe able to get the comments for your copy to the uploaded one

Can you check for previous versions of the folder where the file was. In windows Right click on the folder and select properties, then the previous version tab. There might be a version there from a day or two ago.

Are you familiar with a program called "Recuva"? It can find and undelete many files completely if you haven't written or downloaded anything to the computer. If you have not done so already, you should consider shutting down that computer now to keep from overwriting the files you are trying to recover. Then, with another computer, download the "Recuva" program to a usb thumb drive and get some practice first.

An update to this issue, luckily I was able to retrieve the file from server backups our IT guy runs. I am back in business. Before this I did get the file to upload, however it does not bring in the tag information as most of you mentioned. I would like to know of some of you guys best practice for backups for us guys in the field where I don't have to rely on IT in the crunch. Would the safest way be to back these up to the network and also a CD to kept offline every so often, say every 6 months?

Last edited:
My method is this. I back up my files EVERY time I make a change. I also back it up to 3 separate locations. Network drive, my lappy C: drive, and a thumb drive that is attached to my desk. This way there is no chance of loosing everything. Even if night shift guy deletes something. Since I back it up EVERY time I make a change, I know I always have current versions and all archived versions. This works for me. Should mention though that I am the only person in the plant that touches PLC equipment.