Design the relay ladder logic

Hani Abdullah

A temperature control system consists of 4 thermostats*-

digital switches. The system operates three heating units-
~digital ori/off outputs. The thermostats are set at
55,60,65,7O degrees F. Below ESF, all three heaters are
to be on- Above SSF to GOP, two heaters are to be on.
Above GOF to 65F, one heater is to be on. Above 7OF,
there is a safety shutoff for all three heaters in case
one stays on by mistake. A master switch turns the system
on and off.

Design the relay ladder logic for this Control.

We don't do your homework for you....Show us YOUR design and we'll critique it and help you out.

so you are learning a problem.
heater 1 on when esf ssf gop safety master are all on
heater2 is on when ssf gop safety master are on
heater3 is on when gop safety master are on.
that is all, please revert with a screencapture of what you made, or a photo or anything.

Okay, I've never heard the terms "ESF", "SSF" and "GOP/GOF" with regard to temperature control.

Any ideas from the community ?

This question sounds to me like it's been through an optical character recognition program.

Yes,

ESF is 55 Deg F
SSF is also 55 Deg F

Likewise GOP and GOF are 60 F

So, you're correct when there's been some weird translation. I'm assuming something like Google Translator changed the #'s to those mnemonics.

Design the relay ladder logic for this Control.
In order to design the relay ladder logic, a person would need to know the control voltage to be used in order to specify the relay brand and catalog number.

Is the control voltage:
24 volts DC?
120 volts AC?
240 voltas AC?
Some other voltage?

Good call ! I was looking at the 0/O and ori/on differences.

I suspect the question has been written longhand, scanned, converted to PDF, crumpled in a rucksack, fed to a goat, and faxed from a 7-11 at midnight before arriving here on our distinguished Forum.

Translation to English:

A temperature control system consists of 4 thermostats with digital switches. The system operates three heating units with digital on/off outputs. The thermostats are set at 55, 60, 65, and 7O degrees Fahrenheit.

Below 55 F, all three heaters are to be on;
Above 55 F to 60 F, two heaters are to be on;
Above 60 F to 65 F, one heater is to be on;
Above 7O F, there is a safety shutoff for all three heaters in case one stays on by mistake. A master switch turns the system on and off.

Control voltage was not given.
Heater sizes in kilowatts (to determine size of contactors) was not given.
Type of safety shutoff was not specified.

Design the relay ladder logic for the control system for these heaters.

Last edited:
In order to design the relay ladder logic, a person would need to know the control voltage to be used in order to specify the relay brand and catalog number.

Is the control voltage:
24 volts DC?
120 volts AC?
240 voltas AC?
Some other voltage?
take the control voltage as 240v

At the very minimum, I would install a 6000 KVA substation for your supply, with easily rackable breakers, then use nothing less then 500 amp rated contactors with 240VAC coils.

For safety sake, I'd put two contactors in series for each heater.

I'd also suggest purchasing IBM's Watson platform for the overall control, At least Watson puts some thought into things before posting.

I would use use 13.8kv as my power and make sure you have arc extinguishers when bringing on each heat circuit.