Developing HMI based Hart interface over 1756-IF8H analog input module

val_99

Hi guys,
Lately I was involved into a project utilizing 1756-IF8H HART analog modules. Standard features described in module manual include only basic analog module configuration, description of data arrays and couple of examples of direct Hart Transmitter access in order to pull data for monitoring.
Using CIP messaging I was able to develop basically HMI based HART transmitter configuration utility for basic configuration tasks such as: zeroing, entering tag name, entering Hi and Lo range values, monitoring mA value,entering damping time value. In my case, HMI interface was developed for RSView SE and for ControlLogix PLC V.16
I'm curious if anyone was doing anything like that, so we may share our ideas.

I have not donethis yet,but would like to, I have a lab full of HART compatible devices, and a PLC5. I keep forgetting to ask my AB guy for a price on this module. The HMI would be great.

I do have a question, does the Module cover most devices, or do you have to sort out the data on your own?

Curently we have 275 communicators. I should have 375's within a month or two.

I'm not sure if there are Hart module for PLC 5 platform. I am working with ControlLogix. The point of HMI interface - to be able to program basic features without smart communicator (some placed just don't have it). As a developer and startup guy, I also will benefit a lot from such interface.
As far as list of Hart devices - the module support basic level of communication which is standard for all Hart transmitters. So you may perform all basic operations with it. There is a list of universal Hart commands common for Hart fundation devices. I was using those commands to make a smart transmitter configuration/data monitoring working.
Not sure PLC 5 would do the job. Stay with controllogix platform.

It sounds like you're having a lot of fun. One thing I'm wondering though is how does the device independently observe signal output from the remote devices. It's essentially acting as a communicator itself?
I've had to trim a few devices on their 4-20 outputs with a 275, and I used my handy dandy multimeter for the job. The hart needed the meter to verify the signal.

Other question. What safeguards do you have in place for the module if/when it fails? I'd be very concerned about maintaining an active feedback loop to verify that the module is truly operating as designed or the results could be quite catastrophic.

It sounds like a wonderful module, and I'm glad to hear it's out. I'm guessing that its firmware can be updated, though I wonder if that will affect/enhance the available arguments for the device?

I will push a little harder. I hope to soon have a CLX rack that serves mostly as a Bridge to most availabe networks with AB. On the list is ControlNet, DeviceNet, Ethernet/IP, DH+ and now HART.

We have a lot of process based industry in our area. So the school focuses more on that than assembly line manufacturing. We have a school in an aliance in WA that is currently working on a trainers that we built, but did not supply conrtols. They had someone lined up for the controls, and requested that we leave the controls off. I'm not sure what happened, but they are now converting to AB. I think the original plan was an ABB DCS. They too may be interested. I know that all of the transmitters are HART. One is a decent Level, Flow, Temp trainer. The second is a pH treatment operation.

As you can see, I am very interested.

Hi Russ,
I'm little bit comfused by your question. The module I'm talking about - is a new analog input module for 4-20 mA and 0-5v signals. Also this module has build in Hart multiplexor (this is my understanding of how it done). Each smart field device is connected to its own input, and PLC reads its analog signal. Additionally to that, PLC may read basic hart static and dynamic data directly from transmitter.
Any additional functions such as calibration, trim, Low and High range values, Tag ID, etc. have to be programmed in PLC via CIP messaging using RSLogix programming.
If you have an impression I ment another hart communicator - this is incorrect. I was talking about utilizing new capabilities of PLC analog input modules in order to perform limited "Smart communicator" operations directly from HMI screen.
As far as calibration - becouse analog input module reads both 4-20 mA and transmitter data - it is really possible to do it. But in my case I just trim transmitter's readout to 0, if necessary.

i hav to use 1756-IF8H to communicate with field devices along with taking input from field also i have to use SOE modules to stamp alarms.

Can u please give me any basic documentation regarding this

So that i can go on it and then further ask u any questions

looking towards ur replies