Device for counting lap time - help select PLC

adfox

I was asked to create a device for my friend which will count racing loops time.

It's simple as it has to:

Get started after pressing start button, blink 3 Y/R/G light,
wait for driver to position his car in line of photo sensor,
count some time, then sequence lights, when car starts to run, count time to another crossing of sensor's line, store lap time.

As programmed number of laps reaches counter - signal red.

I was planning to use Siemens Logo! as it has built in text display, but there is a problem - it cannot store values.

I need to store maximum of 10 times in miliseconds and display it.

I'm basically familiar with siemens so I can take S7-1200 1211 PLC and make a runtime simulation on pc to show values but - the price is growing.

If anyone could point me to some kind of programmable relay with text display or something cheap as !Logo but having memory register, i'd be really happy.

The only requirements except mentioned above are: 24VDC power suppy, 3 inputs, 4 outputs - and accesible in Europe :)

Thanks for help and regards
Adam

If I recall correctly, your local Mitubishi supplier should be running a special on Mitsubishi GOT starter kits. It includes a GOT HMI and FX1S PLC with cables and software for a budget price.

For small projects like this, the kit would be perfect.

I'm not familiar with Mitsubishis, could You recommend a PLC type which I could use ?
I'm looking at FX1S-10-MR-DS with TD it's more expensive than LOGO but still cheaper than 1200 - thanks!

Just found
ALPHA XL AL2-10MR-D

This is going to be my shot i suppose! It's looking really nice. Thanks again!

Last edited:
the Logo is a "Smart Relay" the 1200 is a PLC
the FX1S is a base range Mits PLC
Checking - ALPHA XL AL2-10MR-D now

the ALPHA XL AL2-10MR-D is also a Smart Relay,

Smart relay's are good but - they are not PLC's
be wary of Scan Times - and programming requirements.
you could get cought

the ALPHA XL AL2-10MR-D is also a Smart Relay,

Smart relay's are good but - they are not PLC's
be wary of Scan Times - and programming requirements.
you could get cought

Just was afraid that... The price and availability of free software from Mitsubishi speaks for it. I haven't programmed it before and can't tell how will it react - I'm afraid You may be right -> as for the Scan Times.

Has anyone any contact with those ?

it might be OK but most smart relays are limited to the amount of steps per line - so you need multiple lines - not nice - long scan time.

look at the AB 800 series - the software is free

it might be OK but most smart relays are limited to the amount of steps per line - so you need multiple lines - not nice - long scan time.

look at the AB 800 series - the software is free

Just looked at Mitsubishi's software for Alpha - it's just a bigger Logo! and You're right again for the controller steps!

You mean AB Micro 800 - looks promising. My only limitation is that i do this project for free so the price makes a winner, again thank You, looking into AB.

The Click PLC from Automation Direct for $69 is hard to beat. It can do just what you are looking for.

+1 for Koyo Click. I have not used one yet, but have heard many good things about them. The only reason I didn't suggest it was the fact that once you put a HMI ontop of it; the price might be a bit scary :(

Also, the Click will take a little getting used to... Just like anything else new to you :p

Also, the Click will take a little getting used to... Just like anything else new to you :p

It's nice - but programming PLCs is like driving various cars.
You want to achieve the same things, but with different methods.
I like new ;)

Checking Koyo ;)
Thanks!

Thanks again for intrest and pointing me some useful devices, I'll scan ebay and maybe find something useful.

Thanks again!