Device net 1756-DNB to 1769-ADN errors

CapinWinky

I have a 1756-DNB on my main rack that is supposed to communicate with a 1769-ADN with some IO attached in a different cabinet. I can see both modules with RSLinx and they are both in an RSNetworx project.

The issue I'm running into is I cannot download/upload any configuration data to the 1769-ADN module. Each time I do, I get this error entry in the log:
CHAS:5005 Address 01:[Slot 01] Communication Error(0xC) 'Error response received: [0x0416, 0x0000]. Object does not exist.',SCIA(0x19,0x2403,0x0,0x1A).

That is followed by:
CHAS:5008 Address 01:[Slot 01] 'ProxyAssem4' was skipped.

I have a new install of all the AB software and I'm commissioning my first AB machine, so I've run into tons of problems that were resolved by installing a seemingly endless stream of AOP, FW, and EDS files. However, the FW installer for the 1769-ADN is not compatible with Windows 7 (I was able to install the EDS file though). Researching this error, I've seen a lot about EDS files needing to match the firmware version because they are constantly adding and removing parameter entries. I have a module with v2.005 and an EDS file named 0001000C00450200.eds (eds last updated November 2005).

This is a repeat machine, so I have a known working .dnt file and a new .dnt file I tried creating step by step from scratch. Neither is able to transfer configuration to the 1769-ADN module.

I don't see a role for an Add-On Profile for the 1769-ADN. AOPs are a software object inside RSLogix 5000.

The 1769-ADN should be configured entirely within RSNetworx for DeviceNet, where the only thing that matters are EDS files.

Configuring a complex module like the 1769-ADN with its various module proxies and big hairy Assemblies is not for the faint of heart, but it's certainly do-able.

Thanks, now that I know I'm not actually going to see any of the rack in RSLogix, I started understanding what's going on with the the address mapping. On the 1756-DNB, I now have all the inputs from the DeviceNet rack coming in as input registers on the DNB (and I used Networx and some Boolean math to verify what inputs are on what registers). I think I'm good to go.

If anyone has to do this in the future, you have to both install the hotfix and remove the ADN from the DNB's scan list and download that change to the DNB in order to upload/download/view the IO configuration which resides on the ADN. Don't forget to add it back to the scanlist and download again when you're done checking out the settings on the ADN.

Also, in their infinite wisdom, AB made all analog inputs and outputs default to disabled when they are added to the ADN's IO list, even though they still assign 16 bits for each one in the DNB's input and output registers. You have to go into ADN Properties -> Module Configuration -> Select module on right and click Properties -> Configuration Settings -> Double Click Channel -> Enable. You may also want to default the value to 0 when in program mode or a fault state rather than the default of maintaining the last value!

ADN DeviceNet Module

So today I was trying to replace a possibly bad ADN. The new one out of the box would get online with the node address, it wouldn't configure the I/O modules from the previously working existing project.

So attempting to reinstall the initial module and I couldn't get the I/O reconfigured on that then either. It will come online and scan as the node, no errors on scanner, no issues on module leds'. AB stated it was a known bug in older versions and I needed to upgrade RSLinx / RSNetworx to 24. I had 21. Haven't had a chance to try and download the module configurations but did I read correctly that after configuration download, the I/O still needs to be enabled? It downloads the config but in a disabled state? I will check when I get the download with no EDS file errors.

Any insight on my interpretation of the above thread would be appreciated. Thanks!