DH485 Panelview to RS232 PC

nickromano07

Hello all, this is my first time on and I am rather new to automatio as well. I would like to know exactly how to configure my cables, and which ones, from PanelView 550 (DH485 Proto) to my laptop RS232 serial port. I have 1747-pic. Does the RS232 9 pin end go to my laptop serial port, or does that end go to the panelview port? Now I also have 1747-AIC too and if that must be used in order to establish comm, well, I would like to know that config as well. I already have my 1747-PIC/AIC driver running in Lynx and a program ready to download to the 550, all I need is to connect and have comm to panelview!! Any and all help is more than welcome!!

I have a 2711-K5A5 FRN 1.07 SER C I do have a DH485 to RS232 converter, 1747-pic, only problem is that this one has the DH485 module jack end and I need the 9 pin connect. The converter seems to be removable and I have ordered another cable, RS232 9 pin so that I SHOULD have in the end, a 485 to 232 pic converter with a 9 pin connector on both ends. If I have this right, I should have no problem communicating with my panelview.....? right? I have already taken care of the pic driver in LYNX and it is running without a problem ( after I shut down the service and ran it as classic) If it sounds like I am doing something wrong let me know. As I said before, I will have all the cables and the pic adapter tomorrow afternoon and I will let you all know how it turned out. Once again, any and all info is so very welcome!!!

If you have the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver working. Then that means you have a real serial port on your PC. All you need is a straight thru cable between your PC and your Panelview. You do not need the PIC or the AIC to connect your PC to your PV for downloading or uploading its program.
Make sure the baud rate is the same RsLinx and the PV. ( default is 19200)
Make sure the node addresses are different ( default for your Pv is 2, default for RSLinx is 0).
Based on the firmware you provided thats a pretty old PV you have, good luck with it.
See picture below.

PlainStraightThruCable.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing seems to be working!!! I have tried also another PV that is also DH485 2711K5A2L1 ser H FRN 4.41 and got no where with that either. I tried going (with PV 2711K5A5 frn 1.07 ) direct from serial of my pc to the 232 port of panelview and that did not work. I tried it with the PIC adapter and loaded the PIC driver again in Lynx and that did nothing to. I have 2 pic adapters, they are after market ones, and one is a complete cord with a 9 pin connector on one side and a ethernet style on the other( i dont know the proper name for it!) and in between is a small box that seems to make the conversion. Unfortuatly I need a 9 pin on both ends so I purchased one that had a removable adapter. I question this adapter because it seems to be nothing more than a gender changer, but it was sold as 1747-pic. So I used it and still nothing. Now after all this, I had closed my pic driver and cant get it up again....some kind of swap failure.

I am confused and frightened panic is close! I thought maybe my pv is bad, but two with the same result?

p_logix said:
Nick all you need is a 9 pin null modem serial cable, if your are using a panelview 550.

No, No, he needs a straight thru cable. RTM

Last edited:
a straight through cable? is that not a cable with two 9 pin connectors on both ends? I tried that the first time, before I had the 1747-pic adapter. The sticker above the pv says 232 even though the protocal is DH485. I will read through the links you gave me. Thank you. I must say I am VERY frustrated. I know these panelviews are old but I got them off ebay because they were affordable. I am training myself and to buy the newer models are just out of reach. I spent A LOT OF MONEY ON RSLOGIX 500 AND PANELVIEW32 ! I really like rslogix but I am now looking at a company called SILVER "somthing" and their panels are very imprresive looking and their software is only 75 buck!!!! I dont know, but if I cant get what I have going, I just dont have the money to buy Allen Bradley new, especially for practice! But thank you again very very much for helping. As i said I will read through all the links and see what I can do

Well all bets are off with something from e-bay of-course. Good luck there.
Your older PV if its working just needs the straight thru cable, the PIC will not work with it. The newer PV can use the PIC BUT the PIC needs power and it cannot get it from your PV see last PDF I posted above.

No, No, he needs a straight thru cable. RTM

schools out.

If you are using a RIO panelview, go into the configuration and make sure printing is disabled. You will then need a 9 pin serial null modem cable.

if you could verify that when you say straight through cable, you are refering to a cable, 9 pin on either side, from pc to pv, right? I did this already on both pv's and still had same result Panelbuilder32 tries to communicate but does not. I read through the links and I got my drivers back up. I did not use them though i used the straight through cable and relied on the DF1 connection, default with point to point connection on panelview.

p_logix said:
schools out.

If you are using a RIO panelview, go into the configuration and make sure printing is disabled. You will then need a 9 pin serialnull modem cable.

Wrong again. Recess is over. See Pdf for some pretty pictures,
worth a 1000 words.

nickromano07 said:
if you could verify that when you say straight through cable, you are refering to a cable, 9 pin on either side, from pc to pv, right? I did this already on both pv's and still had same result Panelbuilder32 tries to communicate but does not. I read through the links and I got my drivers back up. I did not use them though i used the straight through cable and relied on the DF1 connection, default with point to point connection on panelview.

You cannot have both drivers on at the same time. The PV you listed have DH485 protocol so the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver is the one you need ( only one at a time)
See PDF in my above post for straight cable pin-out . It is not the same one you use to program your SLC or whatever processor you have.