AIC+ WONT SEE THE DH485 Panelview 550

Hi George.
Im sorry for you what happened with your son, been there done that. My son was hit in the eye, with crucial pain. But thank God, all is good now.
Thank you for your excellent explanation. I am so happy having you, Ken and Mickey online and willing to help. I can speak out in the name of many guys, who were looking for help in long period of time.
Yes, the UIC would be my best bet. At the moment, I will try to make a cable tomorrow
and when needed, access the ML1400 by the Ethernet connection
and the PV550 with the RJ45 (will try to find a plug for the other special connector, same DH485).
This way I can eliminate the AIC+.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the sympathy! A good nights rest and I'm all myself again. He's OK as well by the way. He won't be writing in school for a couple of days though, not that he's complaining.

BestTime said:
...This way I can eliminate the AIC+...

Just a note on the MicroLogix 1400 serial ports with regard to not using an AIC+...

Channel 0 (8-pin mini-DIN) on the MicroLogix 1400 is an isolated port. This means it will provide isolation against ground loops and voltage differences between it and devices connected directly to it. So it is possible to connect from this port directly to a DH-485 network, or other device, without the need for an AIC+ interface.

You could in theory, and as Mickey suggested, use a 1763-NC01 from Channel 0 on the MicroLogix 1400, which has a 6-pin phoenix socket, and a 1761-CBL-AS03 from the PanelView 550, which has a 6-pin phoenix plug, and simply connect the two cables together. I've never done as such, so I'm not sure on the outcome there, but I do not see why it wouldn't work?

The 1763-NC01 is designed to break-out the MicroLogix Channel 0 port onto an RS-485 wired multi device network. This is why it has a built-in 120Ω terminating resistor in case its attached device is at one end of network line (E.O.L.). For a multi device network, where you need to terminate the 1763-NC01 as E.O.L., you would need access to the terminals of the plug connected to it. The plug that comes with it is exposed, for instance, but the plug from the 1761-CBL-AS03 is molded and sealed. However, you would not be creating a multi device network here. So you would not need this access.

You would simply be making a peer-to-peer DH-485 connection.

Why?

Because there are only two devices involved and the 1761-CBL-AS03 is actually designed for peer-to-peer connections only, and does not have any built-in 120Ω terminating resistor.

So I would be fairly confident that connecting these two cables directly together should work.

Channel 2 (RS-232 9-pin D-Shell) on the MicroLogix 1400 is not an isolated port. It is always advisable to use an AIC+ between this port and any connected devices. The AIC+ provides the same isolation against ground loops and voltage differences. Not using one may run the risk of electrical interference, depending on the environment the connection is made in and the distance it covers.

Regardless of which controller port you decide to use, if you already have the AIC+ I would best advise you, as Mickey has, to utilize it as it will also provide you with an easier connection point in the future when you do want to connect with your computer, if and when you get a 1747-UIC interface.

Else you will have to plug out the cable to the PanelView 550 just to connect to it. It can be useful being able to see both the PanelView terminal and the controller live on the network at the same time.

We have a few SLC and MicroLogix controllers here that are communicating with PanelView Standard terminals using DH-485. We always have an AIC+ in between to allow us easily connect from our workstations via UIC.

Note: If a DH-485 PanelView terminal is relatively far away from the controller, say 50 feet (15m) or more, then you are best advised to use RS-485 wiring over the distance rather than trying to extend RS-232 signals too far. This is achieved by using an AIC+ at both the PanelView and at the controller and wiring the two phoenix ports together using the recommended Belden cable. Another advantage is that the PanelView AIC+ can also give you a local connection point to the network if you happen to be working closer to the PanelView position.

Options, options!

Regards,
George

Hi George.
Thanks for your detailed explanation.
Yesterday, when Mickey posted the diagram of the cable, with 3 wires: 1 - A, 2 - B, 3 - Comm, my eyes where opening wide. Why? Because I am planning to use only 2 devices in the network and the RJ45 is using the same signals as the Phenix 6 pins.
ML1400 is isolated and the pins layout/pinout is different from any other ML series.
Thats what I wanted.
I was looking for a cable from RJ45 to mini din 8 pin, but did not find.
But the explanation of the connections are basically the same, so thats what I am planning to try out.

George!
I made it! It works!
The greater news is that the PV550 has 2 identical protocol ports :RJ45 and another (communication port plug). The one I use to connect the ML1400, the other one I can use it connecting to the laptop, AND: I can see both devices on the RSlinx!!!
SO, connecting through the PV550 I manage to eliminate the AIC+, having the same affect.
Thats great! Never tried before but now I know it works. I borrowed the UIC and just
plugged it into the PV550 and: BINGO!

Mickey.
I made it! It works!
Made teh cable, using the signals: A, B and COMM, I connected to RJ45 one end and the other end is the mini round 8 pin plug.
The greater news is that the PV550 has 2 identical protocol ports :RJ45 and another (communication port plug). The one I use to connect the ML1400, the other one I can use it connecting to the laptop, AND: I can see both devices on the RSlinx!!!
SO, connecting through the PV550 I manage to eliminate the AIC+, having the same affect.
Thats great! Never tried before but now I know it works. I borrowed the UIC and just
plugged it into the PV550 and: BINGO!
Thanks for your help.
And thanks to Ken, big help.