Difference between RSLogix 500 Starter & Standard?

ckchew666 said:
Thx...looks like rockwell has to update their website info ;)

Why? RSLogix500 was designed to program SLC 500, Micrologix was a later addition, so any version of RSL500 will work with any SLC 500. The differences are in the capabilities.

rsdoran said:
Why? RSLogix500 was designed to program SLC 500, Micrologix was a later addition, so any version of RSL500 will work with any SLC 500. The differences are in the capabilities.

Because based on the website:

9324-RL0100ENE = RSLogix 500 Starter Edition Programming Software for MicroLogix controller families. (CD-ROM)

9324-RL0300ENE = RSLogix 500 Standard Edition Programming Software for SLC 500 and MicroLogix controller families. (CD-ROM)

So for a non AB fans or not familiar with AB products, if I have a SLC system, I'll go for 9324-RL0300ENE because it stated "for SLC 500 and MicroLogic controller families". While started does not stated "SLC" there. Let's say just to do some simple offline programming or upload/download, he/she will go and buy Standard instead Starter can do the job, am i right?

But for those who is very well with AB & RSI, not an issue ;)

Please comment.

rsdoran said:
Why do you have to be a fan, first and foremost study what you may work with, if there are questions then call that company.

I am not sure how you got to the page and information you are refering too BUT the RSLOGIX 5/500 page clearly states that RSL500 is for the SLC and Micrologix family of processors.
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslogix5-500/

I'm not an AB fan. I'm studying the RSI & SLC. It's weekend in Malaysia here, so no reply from Rockwell. (We are working over the weekend). So, what I'm trying to do now is to ask around some experience guys here if Starter supports SLC processor.

Some links shows it's supported, but some like this is misleading:
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/...239758/2397811/

You get what I mean?

The link in post #13 did point to a text that says:
9324-RL0100ENE RSLogix 500 Starter Edition Programming Software for MicroLogix controller families. (CD-ROM)
This text is definitely misleading.

There is also another "starter" edition for the ML1000 only. I dont know the type number exactly.
But for sure it is not the same as the one mentioned above, as it says "Micrologix Controller Families" and not just the ML1000.

rsdoran said:

Hi,

Thx for your links.

I'm sorry, maybe I copied the wrong link. This is what I'm intending to tell:

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/1239758/2397811/

Pls click on it.

Thx.

JesperMP said:
The link in post #13 did point to a text that says:
9324-RL0100ENE RSLogix 500 Starter Edition Programming Software for MicroLogix controller families. (CD-ROM)
This text is definitely misleading.

There is also another "starter" edition for the ML1000 only. I dont know the type number exactly.
But for sure it is not the same as the one mentioned above, as it says "Micrologix Controller Families" and not just the ML1000.

Hi,

That's exactly what I mean. ;) by referring to the comparison chart it's a lot clearer, I don't know if Rockwell software web is not updated or just another marketing strategy, I don't know :)

Another Starter is free or MLX 1000 10pts only (9324-RL050ENE, if I memorise the cat. # correctly). This can be downloaded from website.

Thanks.

Hi,

I start to study the difference between RSlogix 500 softwares, and I want just to understand what You mean by Online editing? is it to modify the program even in Run Mode or What exactly?

Thank you for precision.

is it to modify the program even in Run Mode
That's exactly what it is. In order to download your program, you normally have to switch the PLC into Program mode for the duration of the download. Online editing allows you to make modifications, one rung at a time, without switching modes. It is kind of cumbersome compared to working offline, but allows the machine or process to keep running while you're working.

That's exactly what it is. In order to download your program, you normally have to switch the PLC into Program mode for the duration of the download. Online editing allows you to make modifications, one rung at a time, without switching modes. It is kind of cumbersome compared to working offline, but allows the machine or process to keep running while you're working.

Just for correctness, you can edit/add several rungs while ( don't know if there is a limit)
online.
See PDF below for what the manual has to say about it.

Last edited:
Another significant limitation of online editing is that you can't do a find/replace with addresses. In other words, if an output point craps out and you switch the wiring to a new one, you have to locate each rung where it is used and go through the rigamarole of an online edit.

...you can edit/add several rungs while ( don't know if there is a limit)
online.

The limit is free processor memory. If you attempt more edits than the PLC memory can make space for, it will let you know.

I do online edits frequently. If you have dozens of edits scattered throughout the program(s), there is a significant scan time spike when you "test", "untest", and "assemble" them, but it is a very handy feature.

As Kolyur said, search and replace must be done one address at a time, but it is still pretty easy using the shortcut key F3-find next.

Kolyur,
If replacement is temporary, I usually just make the bad output an enable to the new output. That way when I replace the module, I only have to delete the one rung. All the internal uses of the bit doesn't know it is a bad output.
George

We could also map inputs to internal bits and map internal bits to outputs. One occurrence of each Input bit and each Output bit. Easier to find and fix down the road.